Expansion Vessel Size | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Expansion Vessel Size in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shower Engineer

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Hi
I have a Grant 26-36 S Pro boiler fitted with underfloor heating and DHW. The system was fitted about 3 years ago (not by me) and has worked well since then, only issue is topping the system up every now and then. Pressure has never fallen sufficiently to stop the system working I have just noticed the pressure has dropped and topped it up.
Anyhow I have been looking to flush with F3 and add F1 to the system as I don't think this was ever carried out and was doing some calcs to find out the system volume and came up with 300L of system water (boiler, DHW, 3 x towel rads and 400 Sq M of underfloor heating).
The system only has a standard expansion vessel fitted of 12L. Obviously this is way undersized and probably the cause of the topping up although I have never seen high pressure in the system.
I am looking at increasing the expansion to 24L and the obvious way would be to add an additional 12L vessel which seems to be standard practice when more expansion is required. However is there any reason why I shouldn't remove the existing 12L vessel and add an external 24L vessel? I could use a long SS flexi to tap into the system at the existing expansion vessel point.
Does that sound like a good plan?
Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Fit an external 24 litre vessel and get shot of the 12. Hard pipe it with no flexi.

tbh whichevers easiest. Last one I did went back to the old vessel connection.

If you call Zilmet, they will post you a free expansion vessel sizing calculator. There is a link you can order one but I cant find it right now.

Are you including the dhw cylinder into the calculations?

Ps u need to use f10 if u have underfloor heating to prevent bio growth. One tin per 100l

Thanks to everyone for their help.

If you call Zilmet, they will post you a free expansion vessel sizing calculator. There is a link you can order one but I cant find it right now.
I have used the Mr Combi Android app and have now more accurately calculated the system volume to approx 260L. Ordinarily that would give an expansion of about 28L, however 200L of the system water is in the underfloor heating which has a low temperature so I would think 24L would be fine, any comments? Should I go for next size up to be on the safe side?

Wall space is at a premium so I was thinking of floor mounting the vessel next to the boiler, would something like this 24l Pressure Vessel/ Expansion Tank with replacebale EPDM - Membrane | eBay be ok or should I go for a more conventional wall mounted vessel from Zilmet?

Are you including the dhw cylinder into the calculations?

No only flow and return plus indirect coil.

Ps u need to use f10 if u have underfloor heating to prevent bio growth. One tin per 100l

No that is one I hadn't heard of before. Looks like it might be called AF10 and 500ml treats 200L Is this the right stuff? http://www.fernox.com/files/Fernox/Content/PDF/English/AF10.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
R
thanks mate.
Replies
Views
rahul sood
R
P
It's in the WB installation instructions under...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
Of course, missed that off the first message...
Replies
Views
Back