expansion vessel | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss expansion vessel in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jambo

ok guys got a debate going on well more like an argument on an electric boiler in my opinion the expan vessel will go after the AAV on the flow the pump to rads but i have been told NO it goes on incoming cold mains someone help

Why would it go on the incoming cold mains? It will be linked to the filling loop via the cold mains.

As for AAV, what about PRV?

I mean this in the kindest way possible, but a picture will paint a million words, and put you in the right direction.

Last edited:
dont know much about electrical boilers, what I do know is that in unvented systems expansion vessel goes on cold mains supply !

would some one show me a pic or a link so i can shut this idiot up cheers guys

Had a look and harder to find than I would have thought!

Right, as far as I know it should be like this:

On the return, linked to the Pressure Relief Valve, and the filling loop. With a pressure guage too.

I know they can be put on the flow though its bad practise for a few reasons. One the return water is cooler and will prolong the life of the rubber inside the vessel, and also you can have fluctuations in pressure and pump problems with it on the flow. I.E there can be a momentary pressure drop with it on the flow as the pump starts which may be enough to lock out the boiler. Though unlikely.

It should be on the negative side of the pump ideally.

Sorry I can't find a good picture for you.

Last edited:
blr5b.jpgExpansion vessel, with PRV, guage and filling loop (with flexi hose detached)

Note the PRV isn't plumbed in either, but allows you to see common practise.

so pipe coming off back of vessel will be flow or return but what you said would be return correct cheers bud

It depends on what type of electric boiler you are on about.
An Amptec would just be like a std system. Nothing to do with water supply. Normally ev fitted on the flow before the pump. ((i know the arguments for fitting on the return and combi's and system boilers are fitted on the return but it is still before the pump).

An Electromax comes with everything built on, you dont need to do anything.

An electric combi like the Heatwell has 2. One on each.

A picture speaks a 1000 words, here
heatwell electric combi.jpg

On that pic the expansion vessel for the CH is on the return, as I have been saying.

If in doubt mate, take a few pics, upload them. We'll take a look at it and set you right. As long as the PRV is installed correctly, then if it's wrong it will still be safe.

Cheers,

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a...
Replies
Views
Pin hole leak on suction side of pump.
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
Any update?
Replies
Views
Deleted member 123817
D
Back