Explanation for wet concrete floor near soil pipe. | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Explanation for wet concrete floor near soil pipe. in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sirpecangum

I'm preparing to tile the floor... The floor near to the soil pipe remains wet (after cleaning) for longer and now, with toilet removed, the area has become wetter over the course of today after heavy rain. The flexible white soil pipe "connector" in the floor connects to what appears to be a ceramic soil pipe. Could the ceramic soil pipe be wicking water from the sewer up to the floor? This is a ground floor toilet as originally built in 1953.

The first photo - with drier floor - was taken at midday today. The second photo - with wetter floor - was taken this evening after an afternoon of rain. The rest of the floor remains dry. Can anyone explain this?

IMG_20150825_155240.jpg IMG_20150825_205510.jpg DSC_2589.jpg

Take the pan connectors (white plastic fittings) out of the salt glaze pipe, dry everything off and look for signs of water ingress through any cracks in the pipe
Could be that water was holding in between the rubber fins of the pan connector just below the surface and, as you say, wicking back up
Take them out and you can eliminate this as one cause

Thanks for your suggestion, I have removed the pan connector and cleaned it with a toothbrush and bleach. Perhaps it needs replacing? There is puncture damage to the top and damage (age related?) to the fins.

I've cleaned around the joint between soil pipe and concrete floor. Does it look as it should? I don't see any obvious cracks. Should the soil pipe make direct contact with the concrete floor? Isn't that essentially like touching one sponge with another?

Thanks for your help!

DSC_2620.jpg DSC_2645.jpg DSC_2626.jpg DSC_2638.jpg DSC_2629.jpg

Edit: R.J.Pryce is local and they have listed a number of pan connectors on their website so I'll try to replace this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be ground water from under the concrete working its way through the floor from around the soil pipe.

If it is, you have a far greater problem than you could imagine.

How can I test for that problem? Wouldn't the floor be wet in other places too - especially by the walls?

Thanks for your help jonnyswamp. The floor around the soil pipe has dried overnight despite rain. I wonder if when I had cleaned the floor, water had seeped into the ribs on the pan connector and that is what was causing the continued wetting of the floor around the soil pipe - about exactly as you suggested. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks mate, thats really helpful photo, and...
Replies
Views
A
It’s mainly because of the boss eg pipe into...
Replies
Views
Condensation drips from outside the cistern?
Replies
Views
Ah, yes, that makes sense. Thank you KOP...
Replies
Views
https://www.pipekit.co.uk/marley-hdpe-concentri...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back