Explosive ignition problem | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter Bhoydavid
  • Start date
  • Replies 40
  • Views 585

Discuss Explosive ignition problem in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bhoydavid

Hi all, just noticed recently that when my boiler in the house first fires up it makes a noise which I can only describe as someone a bit away dropping an old metal bin lid on the ground. I reckon it's making such a racket due to explosive ignition but it has only started over the last couple of ideas. Anyone any ideas as to why it's sudden
doing this? Cheers

Its a potterton promac combi 33 he. Just noticed there that the front cover seems to have a dent in it that you can push in and when it fires up it 'pops' out

Depends on the boiler some times the electrodes have warped and have a weak spark allowing a little more gas into the chamber before it ignites.

Could be a vacuum issue the sudden pressure behind the ignited burner causes the case to suck its sides in in which case you have an air flow problem.

flue clamp seal perished re circulation of its own air giving incorrect mix upon start up

If it's prom ax combi look at the electrode gap should be about the size of a pound coin give it a clean with wire wool to

I've had explosive ignition on my boiler for 3yrs now. I have changed electrodes, changed spark igniter, inlet pressure great, cleaned condensate, cleand out sump and flue ways and it is still doing it. Rather annoying it is

Our lass loves it with the door off makes her feel 21 again. ..... 21 stone
(Edit) she's never been more than a size 12 so a tad unfair she's got one in the oven so forgivable

Last edited by a moderator:
Condensate running okay?

Electrodes is first thing that springs to mind, too much gas in the camber

Got this on a customers promax ,let us know if it electrodes

Last edited by a moderator:
Had this a while back n some ariston clas system boilers turned out to be the PCB

The problem seems to have disappeared, anytime the boiler has fired up today it has done it without the banging noise. Strange

horrid boiler - electrodes and lead can be troublesome also check the door seals and the burner these are known to come apart and can melt the boiler

Attachments

• baxi 1.jpg
    baxi 1.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 37
  • baxi 5.jpg
    baxi 5.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 36
Go on!! live a little fella it's Saturday night try it out!!

Sorry feller, I wasn't brave enough to have a go. Especially on a saturday night. The wife goes nuts when ever I start stripping things at the weekends. They usually end up going from bad to worse!

Sorry feller, I wasn't brave enough to have a go. Especially on a saturday night. The wife goes nuts when ever I start stripping things at the weekends. They usually end up going from bad to worse!
Including her or just inanimate objects?

I love solo 3's and all of their potterton. / main children

No so keen on delinquent cousins "GA" family tree

So I tried it with the case off today. Still exploding! So phoned baxi, he got me to check gas valve. The 1st 2 pins on the left were 3.5k ohms when they should be 1.5. So he believes it is letting too much gas pass. Need a new valve apparently.

Jusy bought myself a gas valve and now I csnnot get to the nuts to take it out. It says in the book the valve comes with a service spanner but it don't. What do you guys use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, I have a Main Eco 30 Combi boiler I...
Replies
Views
done, but let's assume you didn't see that...
Replies
Views
Or elec bills as it would be running...
Replies
Views
C
sounds like the pump is not working have you...
Replies
Views
Have you tried recording it on the loud ignition
Replies
Views
Back