exposed bath waste problem | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss exposed bath waste problem in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kayos

Hi Guys

I am installing a new bathroom for a customer and having a problem with the bath waste. It is an exposed chrome outlet and chrome p trap on a free standing bath and when I screw the trap onto the outlet with the fibre washer in place and tighten up I cannot get a watertight seal. I have had a similar problem in the past and resorted to applying silicone but would like to avoid this as it smacks of a "bodge" job. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated

Not seen a waste supplied with a fibre washer - usually they're rubber. If problems I use ptfe tape which normally does the trick. Perhaps change it for another one?

Thanks dontknowitall

Usual story-customer bought bathroom suite so convincing them to buy another chrome waste will be difficult. The fibre washer looks very similar to a pump washer in dimension and sits on a flat surface on the p trap and when the nut is tightened the washer is pulled up to he outlet of the bath. As I have said I have come across this type before and struggled with the same issue-I cannot tighten the nut up any more with resorting to grips-a complete no-no on a nice chrome fitting! Looks like plenty of silicone and a 24hr wait.

what about using one of those boa rubber strap wrenches? that wont damage the chrome.

Silicone is the way. Don't need a lot but definitely the way to go. Some of them can be a complete nightmare.

Thanks Steveb & and SimonG for your imput.
I've tried the boa but still cannot get the joint tight enough hence my frustration with what should be a striaght forward job.
SimonG thanks for restoring my self confidence-I thought it was me making a meal of it! Applied silicone yesterday evening when I left and will test this morning and hope the nightmare does not continue.

Once again many thanks for your imput.

sounds like the bath store dot com trap which is not only to shallow to be legal but still to high to allow the bath to sit on the floor and leaks on every joint

After a chat with the customer your spot on Steve. They have also bought a shower enclosure off the net which was "a fraction of the price of known brands". That too has been a nightmare. There's one group of people who brunt the cost of cheap products-thats the installers who spend many more hours than necessary trying install the things!

Exactly. Did a kitchen sink tap yesterday, bought on the net from Italy, crappy flexi connections.

I don't mind customers supplying stuff, but I try and point them in the direction of my merchants! dosn't always work though, and need to point out that I can not be held responsable for the stuff supplyed by them!

Had one job brought shower tray off net saved a fortune!! I could not get it to sit level, tryed everthing, the best I got was two sides level and one side wasn't even flat, wasted loads of time, told the cutomer and fitted the best I could as he could afford a new tray! intresting job for the tiler!!

I try that route but as you say quite often it doesn't work as the lure of the internet bargain is strong. Get the point about not being responsible for products customers supply but you work hard to gain a reputation of being an honest, up front, hard working tradesman and asking for additional funds doesn't always go down to well-you know the line- "quoted one price but he ended charging me a higher price".
You try to do the right thing and still come away with a slight negative comment. That said it does depend on how reasonable the customer is.

thats why my advert ooffers free estimates i had one yesterday can you give me a free estimate for a leak under a sink yes i said 60 dont you want to see it ? no thats my estimate based on 30 years experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ok thank you. That’s what I was thinking. I’m...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Very grateful for your reply. You are right...
Replies
Views
B
Already ordered from Plumber's Mate, but I...
Replies
Views
B
both sink waste sizes i believe. ebay search...
Replies
Views
The bath has been in use for 11 months or so...
Replies
Views
Back