External Stop taps | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss External Stop taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Every now and again I come across the age old problem of the internal stop tap not working, like most of us out there, the easy solution is to open the external chamber, turn off water, make repairs turn back on again but BEWARE after a recent visit to an empty property (customer in hospital long term) I was faced with leaks galore caused by vandals. After many attempts to switch water off and contain the leaks I found myself outside at the ci chamber digging out allsorts of muck before turning off the water. I was then able to make my repairs, no problem !
Well there was no problem until I attempted to turn the water back on again, the tap must have sheared due to age. I know the customer was long term in hospital but her daughter visited the property regularly to clean up so the water had to be back on.

I phoned utilities who told me the external tap is their property and i should not be touching it, it could potentially lead to prosecution, so i asked how else was i to make my repairs if i could not turn the external tap off answer was pinch pipe (ok if its mdpe) but its lead, i said well you have to dig on the customers boundary and put a new external stop tap in, this still meant i needed to isolate some how. I have replaced thousands of lead mains under the governments scheme and all i used to do was dig to the salt glaze chamber and turn off tap , make adjustments and turn on again.

Now it seems you can not do this . Fortunately because the property was empty and I said it was a bad leak they had a team round the same day and replaced the tap , otherwise it could have cost £500+ that i would of had to pay .

So has anyone else had this problem , I have tried to find ways to overcome this, sometimes i have been succesful, after speaking to a company in London recently who freeze pipework, they did not recommend freezing the incoming service unless you can guarentee two machines on it like an anaesthatist in a hospital operation. Ideas and thoughts welcomed!!! :)

Last edited:
As far as I was aware the external stopcock was the water boards property but is ok to be used to isolate if required

If it fails they replace

I would have argued the same about how else to isolate the water.

Consider the fact that they are targetted to reduce wasted water I would say your doing them a favour by using it

Ive frozen loads of these with the cheap spray can like freezers,never ever had a proble Id rather freeze the pipe than try and turn off an old stop tap thats under 2ft of soil if it looks bad. I tried to turn one off in nottingham city centre once, It turned but didnt turn off the water, then when I turned it back on water started pi++ing out of the hole flooding the street. Ive even snatched pipes live before to get a new stop tap on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

New tap. Something is broken
Replies
Views
B
  • Question
Often there is no tap to turn, it is a square...
Replies
Views
The mains water is now feeding everything in...
Replies
Views
  • Question
have you had a plumber have a go with the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Did you ever find out what the issue was?
Replies
Views
Back