Fair Price To Pay Sub Contractors | Air Sourced Heat Pumps | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Fair Price To Pay Sub Contractors in the Air Sourced Heat Pumps area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plumber101

Hello

What would be fair price to pay subbies i was thinking 40% labour
i pay all google ads, leaflets, newspaper ad etc costs myself and all admin )

for:

system chemical flush
system to combi upgrade
install vertical flue
install rads
power flush
trv installation
install boiler protection pack
magnaclean pro filter and cleaner
commissioning the boiler with gas safe

any advice appreciated

thanks

Surely chemical flush and power flush are one of the same or the first over ruled by the 2nd. And boiler protection pack not the same as magnaclean and scale reducer?

Then it depends on number of rads and pipework alterations needed. Then where the boiler is going is the gas there and are the hot and colds easy to pick up. Is the roof for verticle flue flat roof pitch roof? Slate of tiles are they delta tiles or 55's as they all have a knock on effect on the instal time.

When end you say 40% are you talking on labor you've quoted on every job as again I'd say it depends on what your labor is there are people out there pricing this work for peanuts if you prices it at £210 labor and wanted to pay me 40% I'd be telling you to take a running jump.

I'd be looking to pay a good plumber a sensible rate that isn't rushing them or encouraging them to cut corners.

I would be paying team of two for two days at whatever local day rate is plus 5% bonus and scrap . They get to pay me 5% retention for 3 months

What's your game-plan Plumber 101.

Not sure how to answer your question due to not understanding what you are trying to do.

More information is needed.

Come to think of it.....suggest an hourly rate.

If you get constant work for 1 or 2 subbies, they may be willing to work on an hourly rate for you.

It depends more on what you can offer the subbies than what they can offer you.

If you can only offer 4 hours a week to one subbie - they will lose interest - quickly
If you can offer 30 hours a week to one subbie - they will jump at the chance - provided payment for works is weekly.

That's my experience with subbies.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for advice.

If subbie supplys customer the boiler at cost say £700

If i pay subbie £350 labour for straight swap combi

How would CIS work?

I take 20% off the Labour £350 so send £70 to CIS and BACS subbie £280?

Subbie has paid say Plumbase £700 for boiler and supplies this to me at cost and i add small mark up to customer

On subbie invoice to me Labour £350, Materials £700, surely i do not take off 20% from £700 boiler (£140) and send £140 to CIS as subbie would be £140 out of pocket?

Just starting out to use sub contractors so new to CIS and trying to learn as much as i can from those with experience

Thanks

What you need to do is decide on a rate per job, a percentage won't match across the board. A powerflush is mainly labour, a boiler change may be 50/50 an large heating system may be 30 percent.

Dont forget that the customers contract is with you and not your subbies so you will need insurance and warranty costs coverd.

Last edited:
so you want the subby to supply the boiler at cost so you can add a mark up how does that work if your acting as main contractor either you supply the boiler and subby gets paid to fit it or he supplies the boiler and parts and he bills the customer with you taking a commision from the total bill in which case you not a main contractor but an agency in much the same way as service magig rated trades etc

Thanks to all for advice.

If subbie supplys customer the boiler at cost say £700

If i pay subbie £350 labour for straight swap combi

How would CIS work?

I take 20% off the Labour £350 so send £70 to CIS and BACS subbie £280?

Subbie has paid say Plumbase £700 for boiler and supplies this to me at cost and i add small mark up to customer

On subbie invoice to me Labour £350, Materials £700, surely i do not take off 20% from £700 boiler (£140) and send £140 to CIS as subbie would be £140 out of pocket?

Just starting out to use sub contractors so new to CIS and trying to learn as much as i can from those with experience

Thanks

Been subbing all over the UK for the past 20 years. Never heard of the subbie supplying the boiler,havent you got any capital are you just knocking on doors getting jobs and taking a bit off the top,normally subbies don't register the boiler ,just commission it and the main contractor registers it,have you got a part P spark to wire it,have you sorted out a waste carrier to collect waste,your gonna struggle to get a subbie to shell out on a boiler,and wait for you to pay,i certainly wouldn't as you come across as a chancer if you are asking thease questions on here...

if as a subbie I supplied the boiler, Id bill the customer myself and tell you to take a hike, having given the custard a discount on your price.

did have some agency bod bending my ear the other day,the accountant didn't mention anything though

i think its something like if you have a supervisor or someone issueing your work then that can't be classed as CIS and have to be paid through an agency or umbrella company...

not sure... worth looking into...

Haven't some people got a front.

And I bet the next line would be that the plumber supplies all the equipment necessary,
and does't get paid until 'Plumber 101' is paid.

Call backs - I bet 'Plumber 101' would inform the customers that they should call his plumber who installed the the boiler / system / repairs.

And I also bet - that if any extra charges are incurred - the plumber has to wear them or the plumber is to invoice 'Plumber 101' to submit an invoice to the customer and then wait for payment less 'percentage'.

What sort of imbeciles ( Keeping it clean) does 'Plumber 101' think we are.

The guy cannot be that stupid to think that ANY plumber is going to accept his terms and conditions.

My bloods boiling - I have to stop..

Oz you seems to have a good understanding of uk market this days ! Top post

It not a case of understanding the UK market or any market at all.

It about understanding how some people can blatantly think they can actually make this process work.

Which person in their right mind would accept an offer like this?

In this instance - what benefit is there for the plumber, besides a days pay.
Most if not all the work, all the expenses and all the experience and all the grief.

If this person called me and offered me this situation - I would organize a meeting with him, just to see if he is the full quid, and probably belt him one on the way out.

Or being that I love being a ***** to some people - I would agree to a job, get there and be on the phone with him / her for an hour stating all the extras - over and above - what was expected in reasonable circumstances.

Then I would be hammering them for extra money for the install and getting them to negotiate my extra costs with the home owner.
I would also demand that the extras be agreed to in writing prior to doing anything.
It would be necessary to have the customer in earshot, if not standing right next to me for best effect.

I would then pack up - abuse the 'agent' - once again in earshot of the customer- leave the customer my card, tell them I will give them a quote and if need be , be back in the next couple of days to do what they need doing.

Plumber 101 is either an Estate Agent or a school teacher.

Don't ask for my reasoning - but I have dealt with both for years and 'alarm bells are ringing'

@Alex : it has gone quiet so I would for £250 a day as long as I don't pass way from this chest infection or what ever I am suffering at the moment

@Oz : there is lots of people that are out of money that will take any Job offered to them , not necessary been foreigners but local people too . Doesn't take much to understand this just read on here all simmilar posts and how many people will be interest to take on ANY work .
In my honest opinion I think OP he/she is another SEO or internet speciallist

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Rothenberger Rocal Pro 2 Powerflusher. Best...
Replies
Views
Back