Fault finding with multi meter on boiler components | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Fault finding with multi meter on boiler components in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gasn1

Hello all I have just recently bought a multi meter as I want to be 100% sure that I'm ordering the right part when it's faulty without having to guess. Only problem is Im not sure how to use it. I need to know how to test. :Gas valves Fans Pumps Aps Pcbs Switches etc. But there are so many settings eg Ac, dc, ohms, volts, I'm not sure what setting to use for what part and if so do I need the boiler on or off to test also what readings should i be getting. Would much appreciate any help or advice given Many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
go and talk to a sparkie asap he'll show you the basics, then buy John reagins book on combis or central heating for a step by step reminder and book yourself on some traing courses with manufacturers. how did you get through an apprenticeship without being taught the basics of using a multimeter, something isnt working out there somewhere!

The company I done my training with was very poor But how did you know I done an apprenticeship I have done the Baxi course and have revised the booklet a hundred times I know how to test parts dead but when the boilers on I just need to know what I'm looking for and on what setting

that is why an apprentice spends 4 years following his boss otherwise you have to teach yourself fm scratch old son. read mr reagin hes better than a baxi booklet, hes a whole book on combis!

Hello all I have just recently bought a multi meter as I want to be 100% sure that I'm ordering the right part when it's faulty without having to guess. Only problem is Im not sure how to use it. I need to know how to test. :Gas valves Fans Pumps Aps Pcbs Switches etc. But there are so many settings eg Ac, dc, ohms, volts, I'm not sure what setting to use for what part and if so do I need the boiler on or off to test also what readings should i be getting. Would much appreciate any help or advice given Many thanks
try and get your self on the baxi course they do three seperate days on combis multi meters and fault finding think they are about 6o quid a day but well worth it

Not specific to boilers, but there is a brilliant introduction to electronics written by Forrest Mims. Its a strange book - my (1980s) copy looks like it was photocopied from a handwritten original in an exercise book, but it presents things in a way that made clear to me stuff that I had read about before, but never fully understood.

I think that the more modern version is properly typeset - here on amazon.

It covers a LOT more than just using a multimeter, but it doesn't hurt to understand exactly what the various components do, and its only about 100 pages with lots of diagrammes. If you get a good grounding of the theory, you can use a meter for all sorts of useful things.

edit - just used the "look inside" feature on amazon, and it seems that it still handwritten. Never seen anything else published like that.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If your looking for volts you won't find it if the boiler is off lol, if your looking to check the path of the wire then switch to ohms and if you wanting to check parts like motors windings,switchers, coils and so on you have to have and understanding how the part works

Not specific to boilers, but there is a brilliant introduction to electronics written by Forrest Mims. Its a strange book - my (1980s) copy looks like it was photocopied from a handwritten original in an exercise book, but it presents things in a way that made clear to me stuff that I had read about before, but never fully understood.

It covers a LOT more than just using a multimeter, but it doesn't hurt to understand exactly what the various components do, and its only about 100 pages with lots of diagrammes. If you get a good grounding of the theory, you can use a meter for all sorts of useful things.

edit - just used the "look inside" feature on amazon, and it seems that it still handwritten. Never seen anything else published like that.

That book looks great. I recently had a quick browse through my old plumbing portfolio and it looks just like that with the sketched diagrams. I'd drawn all the gas controls etc and I'd say it still serves as the best way to familiarise yourself with components you might be unsure of.

I've never seen a book written like that one before either, I like it.

i would think it best for you to join the gas safe only forum and ask specific compontent questions there. Its probably best not discuss component testing in a open forum which may encourage not competent persons to try and fix there own boilers.

if you just want to discuss mulitmeter use then keep it as a general discussion in this post at the most imo.

they are fairly simple to use. best to get an auto range one as they are alot easier to set up.

to check for voltage you set to volts AC or volts DC (a multimeter should not be used fo safe isolation)
to check current you set to amps and normally switch the lead/s
to check for resistances you set to ohms
to check continuity you set to buzzer or ohms

alot depends on the meter and its features, best to read the instructions that come with it also.

in most cases the readings you will be looking for should be from manufactures information which is why its so important to have instructions and helpline numbers.

Last edited:

Excellent looking tome! Shame computers have all but eradicated such presentation nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

The Fluke 116 tests for micro amps, which is...
Replies
Views
Have you now started using the heating or...
Replies
Views
Absolute cock & bull from SGN, think about...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
P
Tricky situation for you. Boiler shouldn't...
Replies
Views
Back