Fed up with my Worcester 28i junior boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Fed up with my Worcester 28i junior boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

knittygritty

I am at my wits end with my boiler situation, the only positive thing about it all is that my gas bill will be lower as i have had no heating for 3 weeks or more now and had two plummers in??? is there any help out there that wont cost me a fortune?
My boiler started just going off and the red reset button flashing once a second, got told well it could be ur pump or it could be this and that and finally No its ur board, then i called another plummer and he thought he had fixed the problem saying there was a blockage, all seemed fine, water and heating was on and the pressure was ok. 20 mins after he left the light started flashing again but 4 times a second. He came back and phoned worcester and they said it was the low pressure switch. I ordered one from internet and got the man to come out and fit it. All was fine again for at least 40mins, pressure ok water and heating good. So he left and we were happy as we hadnt had to pay for a pcb. 10 mins later all went off again! he came back and called worcester again and they said it was the board! so we had to wait for that to come. In the meantime the pressure went through the roof when it fired up so had to keep it off.
I have had the board fitted now but still no heating as the pressure goes sky high still but was ok with the water but now even that has stopped working, i have to keep pressing the reset button. I am now told it is probably the pressure relief valve and if not that then its the expansion vessel. Is my problem ever going to be fixed? i cant afford all this and cant get boiler cover till it is working or can i?? someone please help and advise??:confused:

Call British Gas homecare, explain the situation and ask them how much they will charge to fix the boiler, (they do a 'one off' fixed charge for repairs/breakdowns so find out what they will charge). Once it's fixed sign up to their homecare cover and any problems will always be theirs 24/7/365 at the monthly charge your paying and not your problem however much a fix might cost and if it's a dodgy boiler it's still their problem not yours..... Simple.......

Thanks for that. I have heard some bad tales about BG, and also because im not with BG at the moment they charge extra. Think i need to shop around and make a few calls. My plummer is a mate and sometimes this is a bad thing as he would rather ignore my problem because in the beginning he said it could be a lot of things and neither of the two plumer's have done a test to determine whether or not it is the expansion vessel? grrrr

I don't think what your saying about charging more because you're not with British Gas applies. Take a kook at their website, they do a fixed price charge for repairs if you don't have a homecare agreement with them. If you had a homecare agreement with British Gas they wouldn't charge you anything for a breakdown/repair if your agreement covers the item needing repair. Once the system is working correctly you can then take out a service agreement with them.
If BG agree a price tofix the boiler they will fix it for that price, whatever it takes. It's good reliable cover. It costs nothing to ask them how much it would cost to fix.

just done it and they can do it for £99 then cover for 20 a month thereafter, i am tied to that cover for a year as they have done the initial repair so looks like i will go with that one. Feeling better already, just need £99 now lol.
Thanks for advice

Worcester charge £200 and will replace upto 3 parts, my brother in laws boiler (a28i junior) went down before xmas, it was either overheat stat£10 or pcb £150, replaced stat, still no work, no guarrantee the pcb would solve problem and cannot return once opened, therefore ring Worcester, plus its guarranteed for 12 months, and not my problem anymore.

Plummer Phoned worcester twice and they told me two different parts which i now have installed and still nothing. I phoned them the third time to get the name of a part as the plummer suggested it was this but called it by a different name, their attitude was "oh thats the thing with these boilers, once one part has gone then the rest will follow???" really helpful NOT! Most of the places that do the one off repairs stipulate that they dont cover the heat exchanger or the pcb as too expensive. I have already replaced the board and luckily it didnt cost me 150 quid!

Sorry. I actually meant that Worcester came out to do the repair, its there boiler so they usually get straight to the point, they have most of the time been pretty on the ball when I have rang them, however you keep saying your plummer phoned, does he actually work on boilers as the norm or just very occasionally.

Well i think that is where the problem lies, one of my plumbers is more of the installation side and the other is more industrial boilers, but he does do little ones as well! who knows, i did call Worcester in the beginning but got scared off with the price, thinking about it now i should of gone with my first instinct, story of my bloody life!! we live and learn hey?

we certainly live, but dont always learn I'm late fifties and got bad head from drinks last night, been saying for 40+ years never again!!!!!!

ha lol well some things are better not learnt, I Wish i had a bad hear from the night before!
Thanks for your help anyway

i used BG myself and they were very good, i have a 28i and it went wrong last year, cudnt find fault. pcb was nearly £200 and BG charged 165 to come and fix, they swapped fan, pcb and gas valve, happy days

I am sold on BG just gotta raise £99 and then they are on the job and also will get their cover. Thanks for all comments

just be careful, im told since last year they will only swap 1 part, maybe i was lucky, your qoute sounds good though

Its not one part its one problem, they did explain this, my problem is the pressure so they will fix as many parts as it takes to fix the pressure problem. I have already purchased the most expensive one, the pcb so fingers crossed its just the expansion vessel. I may just phone them back and make doubly sure tho? thanks

oh i see, sounds good then, let us know wot it is.
how old is the boiler?

Its around 9 years old now. SO i suppose its on its last legs but certainly cant afford a new one this year thats for sure. As soon as its all sorted I will post outcome on here, like i said still gotta raise £99, times are hard and all bills are coming in together lol

No its a Combi, they stopped making this model in 2007 and changed it to the condensing model. Hey this is not bad information for a woman lol. Its amazing just what you can pick up when there is a major problem with something ha ha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

W
pcb issue so gas safe engy required sorry to say
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Reply was much appreciated, thank you.
Replies
Views
Apologies for not attaching photos but many...
Replies
Views
I’m guessing the installer didn’t have a...
Replies
Views
Back