Ferolli Boiler Problems - hot water/heating | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Ferolli Boiler Problems - hot water/heating in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Evabels

Hiya

We have a ferolli combi boiler, about 7/8 years old. Since we've lived here we've had no end of problems.

Current issues are noisy fan (water got in and rusted it and it sounds like an aircraft taking off), not a huge problem as we don't have our heating on for 6 months or so through summer.

Main problem is no hot water, or if we do get it it's inconsistent. We usually have to put our heating on to get hot water for showers, baths, washing up etc., not ideal with a newborn and toddler for sure. To me it seems like it may be related to the pilot light/switches? When I turn the heating off, it doesn't always actually turn off, I have to turn the hot tap in the bathroom to get it properly off!!!
Our plumber wants to put in a Thermister to start with (£15 plus labour). Then a new fan unit (£125 plus labour). Is this right?

Hope this makes sense and somebody can help me not waste lots of money I don't have, being on mat leave and redundant lol!

Sorry, we really need the model, as different boilers work differently

Evabels, It'd be hard to advise without more info on the boiler model ... However it is a Ferroli! Not the best of starts in my opinion! If your guy is replacing two parts, is he replacing the fan coz it's noisy and he thinks it's the thermistor that is giving you the problems you've described?

As above. A 7/8 year old Ferroli is probably past its best. They are far from the greatest boilers.
Its a bit like trying to explain to a machanic "my cars not working" and him diagnosing it over the phone but with a bit more info. someone may be able to narrow down the issue to one or two potential faults. The exact boiler model will be a start.

Hello
Thanks for the replies.
Diamondgas -yes he is.
Is this the serial number - Falcon 1T0RN82A, 0323L80249? If not where would I find it?
Cheers

Evabels, It'd be hard to advise without more info on the boiler model ... However it is a Ferroli! Not the best of starts in my opinion! If your guy is replacing two parts, is he replacing the fan coz it's noisy and he thinks it's the thermistor that is giving you the problems you've described?

Hello
Diamondgas -yes he is.
Is this the serial number - Falcon 1T0RN82A, 0323L80249? If not where would I find it?
Cheers

As above. A 7/8 year old Ferroli is probably past its best. They are far from the greatest boilers.
Its a bit like trying to explain to a machanic "my cars not working" and him diagnosing it over the phone but with a bit more info. someone may be able to narrow down the issue to one or two potential faults. The exact boiler model will be a start.

Hello
Cheers

evabels, you have a problem that needs a professional to take care of. If you have a concern with the advice given by your plumber or are worried about esculating costs there are alternative's that give you some control on cost! Companies such as BGas do fixed price repairs...

evabels, you have a problem that needs a professional to take care of. If you have a concern with the advice given by your plumber or are worried about esculating costs there are alternative's that give you some control on cost! Companies such as BGas do fixed price repairs...

We aren't with BG so it's not so easy to use them.
I suppose I was just after advice as to whether the thermister sounds like it will fix the hot water problem without me forking out for something else straight away after.

Well there's something strange in your post that gives doubt to it being the sensor alone if at all. When you mentioned having to turn the bath tap on and off to get the boiler to stop... That would lead me to a possible flow switch sticking which also could be the cause of no hot water if it its temperamental. I am looking at the falcon M2 instructions. Don't know if your boiler is this? If your engineer can return parts not required then I'd go armed with one as well as the sensor then return it to the supplier if it isn't needed. Saves additional visits. I know what you mean regards BG. They have a pricing structure now depending on time spent. Their only fixed charge is if you take up their service cover contract.

Well there's something strange in your post that gives doubt to it being the sensor alone if at all. When you mentioned having to turn the bath tap on and off to get the boiler to stop... That would lead me to a possible flow switch sticking which also could be the cause of no hot water if it its temperamental. I am looking at the falcon M2 instructions. Don't know if your boiler is this? If your engineer can return parts not required then I'd go armed with one as well as the sensor then return it to the supplier if it isn't needed. Saves additional visits. I know what you mean regards BG. They have a pricing structure now depending on time spent. Their only fixed charge is if you take up their service cover contract.

Thank you so much for replying. I'm glad you think there's something strange as it's been bugging me for years, literally! We're trying to sell the house and I don't want to leave someone with a temperamental boiler so trying to get it fixed without spending the estate agent fees!

That's where you gotta trust the person who's doing the work to be able to fit only the parts that are at fault. Not always an easy task when the issue is tempromental. The amount estate agents ask for I doubt it'll cost you that much? lol

That's where you gotta trust the person who's doing the work to be able to fit only the parts that are at fault. Not always an easy task when the issue is tempromental. The amount estate agents ask for I doubt it'll cost you that much? lol

He's lovely and doesn't take the mickey but fairly young and with that means there's less experience there. Just wanted to double check because I have been mentioning the issues for a few years and I don't think he's REALLY took in what I'm trying to say! Just a gut feeling that it was something more than just a thermister when I looked at what they were for!
Thanks again. And yes the fees are stupid! They have just packaged them differently to make them seem cheaper than a few years ago but in fact they're not! Grrr.

He's lovely
What a wonderful coment for the guy. Hey you can always let him know about this forum. there's a wealth of knowledge in here I've found invaluable and I've been at this for 30+ years... We are always learning and will never know it all! I hope he gets to the bottom of it for you... :)

I cannot gurantee this advice, but I was talking to a customer last week who has a Ferroli boiler and they had exactly the symptoms you describe. I believe the problem was solved by relocating the themistor because the basic design of the boiler is flawed in this respect.

Your input is appreciated Tony, but I doubt this will solve the problem at hand. The thermistors on these boilers are screwed into a boss on the heating pipes so as to pick up the water temperature internally. They cannot be re-located.
Although these thermistors are in general quite temperamental on these boilers, as mentioned, it would appear the problem would be more related to a switch or board issue.

Thanks for all the advice, sorry I didn't get a notification so didn't see the last few comments until today.

My 'lovely' plumber isn't being so lovely and is ignoring me, I've been trying to get it fixed with him since before my baby was born, so April 11 :(
So much for trying to support a local business and being loyal.

I've seen someone today who has quoted me for a Main or Baxi Combi Condensing boiler (with vertical flue stuff also), wireless thermostat, requiring 2 men due to roof work, £1800, does this sound reasonable? We're going to have to find someone who'll lend us the money first though.

That's a fare price ... So have you decided to get it replaced? If money's an issue and you'd rather have the boiler repaired you could consider takeing out a cover contract with the likes of BG. They'll give you a fixed one of charge plus monthly payments which can spread the cost over a longer period of time ... ! Just a thought Evabels.. :)

That's a fare price ... So have you decided to get it replaced? If money's an issue and you'd rather have the boiler repaired you could consider takeing out a cover contract with the likes of BG. They'll give you a fixed one of charge plus monthly payments which can spread the cost over a longer period of time ... ! Just a thought Evabels.. :)

Have had a little look that but you have to have a boiler with no existing issues :( and I'm crap at omitting :(

It's not far off its shelf life and we will be renting house out as we can't sell, so it has to pass a landlord safety cert first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

T
I know you must be frustrated, but as gmartine...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
A faulty zone valve (if S plan) end switch...
Replies
Views
Yes everything worked fine before. Is there a...
Replies
Views
Back