Few questions about lead pipe | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Few questions about lead pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Just wondered what the most comman size of lead (hot & cold not waste) was back in the day eg/ is 7lb lead eqivalent to todays 15mm?

Are there any other sizes that look the same as 7lb from the outside?

Why is lead measured in weight?

What is more reliable. Philmac or Ledlock?

Lead pipe came in a range of sizes 1/2" , 3/4" 1" etc. and in differing weights 6bls,7lbs etc. this refers to to weight of a foot of pipe so 1 foot of 1/2" 6lbs lead would weigh 6lbs etc.

The weight of sheet lead is in codes i.e. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 and refers to the weight of a square foot.

Interesting, and lead is measured from the internal bore right?

Philmac. Easier to fit and cheaper than leadlock. Nobody I know uses Leadlock anymore now the Philmac system is out. Not even seen Leadloc listed in my merchants catalogue for ages.

No standard sizes - the weights were nominal and could diiffer. Much depended on the manufacturer. There was no requriement to standardise to take fittings as all lead joints were wiped.

Last edited:
Scrapped a load of metal today. The lead was the tastiest treat. Copper has fallen completely out of bed. I got 2500, two months back it was 3800.

Copper still 4600 a ton scrap over here Danny think your getting ripped off there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

That's my next job - lift the nearby lid up...
Replies
Views
I'm not sure about the cracks but I do know...
Replies
Views
Brilliant, thanks KoP - I'll give it a go and...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Did you ever find out what the issue was?
Replies
Views
Thank you for the detailed and considered...
Replies
Views
Back