Finally looking to replace 30+ yr old boiler... | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Finally looking to replace 30+ yr old boiler... in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

boilerlady

Hi all,

we are three ladies with no knowledge of plumbing. Currently have an ancient boiler (Potterton Netaheat 10-16 Mk II F), plus hot water cylider and a cold water tank in the loft. We are looking to replace this but not sure about what kind of boiler would be best and if we have to buy extra stuff ect. The house is a 2 bedroom semi but we don't have central heating upstairs. We have 2 bathrooms and 1 power shower. All gas. As we are thinking of refitting the kitchen we would also like to know if we need to put a new boiler in the kitchen (current one is in bathroom) and would it need to be on an outside wall? Would it be possible to get rid of our current hot water cylinder and save space with a combi? Is this even the best option? We want something reliable. Please help!
Many many thanks for taking the time to read this!

if you have 2 baths then combi is out. best option is a system boiler and unvented cylinder. post in Im looking for a plumber and give your area to get someone round to look

Hi boiler lady and welcome to the forum. If you wanted a combi you would have a few things to check. You would loose all other tanks and cylinder and only have the boiler. The power shower wouldn't work off the combi so that would have to be changed to a thermostatic mixer straight off the boiler . You would have alterations whatever system you put in as you intend to move the boiler into kitchen. It is ok to have boilers in the bathroom as long as they are in certain zones and comply with manufacturer. Without seeing the property it'd hard to give you sound advice . (Gas pipe sizing , flue outlet positions, pipework positions etc )
My advice would be contact a few trustworthy reputable gas engineers to give you quotations and advice on what to put and where.
As far as boiler makes all us engineers on here have different preferences and the most popular you'd here are ideal, winchester, baxi or vaillant.

if you have 2 baths then combi is out. best option is a system boiler and unvented cylinder. post in Im looking for a plumber and give your area to get someone round to look

I don't get the fascination about system boilers on this site. I would rather see a heat only with external expansion vessel and pump my self. Easier and cheaper to maintain in the long run.

I don't get the fascination about system boilers on this site. I would rather see a heat only with external expansion vessel and pump my self. Easier and cheaper to maintain in the long run.
people like the concept of all in one box solutions filling one of their kitchen cupboards with a big red cylinder isnt always appreciated

Hi boiler lady and welcome to the forum. If you wanted a combi you would have a few things to check. You would loose all other tanks and cylinder and only have the boiler. The power shower wouldn't work off the combi so that would have to be changed to a thermostatic mixer straight off the boiler . You would have alterations whatever system you put in as you intend to move the boiler into kitchen. It is ok to have boilers in the bathroom as long as they are in certain zones and comply with manufacturer. Without seeing the property it'd hard to give you sound advice . (Gas pipe sizing , flue outlet positions, pipework positions etc )
My advice would be contact a few trustworthy reputable gas engineers to give you quotations and advice on what to put and where.
As far as boiler makes all us engineers on here have different preferences and the most popular you'd here are ideal, winchester, baxi or vaillant.
Winchester is a new one for me !! Worcester perhaps

I fit loads of WB system boilers, how is it easier and cheaper to replace a pump in a conventional system?

Its a 15 minute job in a system boiler and a Grundfos pump head is £45+ VAT either way?

I fit loads of WB system boilers, how is it easier and cheaper to replace a pump in a conventional system?

Its a 15 minute job in a system boiler and a Grundfos pump head is £45+ VAT either way?

What about an expansion vessel? It only takes 15 minutes to change a normal pump.

Why not put one up in the airing cupboard with the cylinder?
Normally a nightmare to flue or get the condensate out, longer gas supply and a decent sized cylinder takes up most of the airing cupboard.

What about an expansion vessel? It only takes 15 minutes to change a normal pump.

It takes two minutes on a Vaillant to change the expansion vessel.
Plus with having the components in the boiler the customer is covered by the manufacturers guarantee for up to 10 years, depending on what boiler they go for.

To be honest, the repairs are all free for 7 years, doubt Grundfos or your expansion vessel manufacturer will be out to replace them FOC in the same time period.

Normally a nightmare to flue or get the condensate out, longer gas supply and a decent sized cylinder takes up most of the airing cupboard.

Sorry I meant just the expansion vessel lol.

I suppose it's not a bad thing with the warranty and all that.

If I can briefly drag you all back on topic!

Hi all,

we are three ladies with no knowledge of plumbing. Currently have an ancient boiler (Potterton Netaheat 10-16 Mk II F), plus hot water cylider and a cold water tank in the loft. We are looking to replace this but not sure about what kind of boiler would be best and if we have to buy extra stuff ect. The house is a 2 bedroom semi but we don't have central heating upstairs. We have 2 bathrooms and 1 power shower. All gas. As we are thinking of refitting the kitchen we would also like to know if we need to put a new boiler in the kitchen (current one is in bathroom) and would it need to be on an outside wall? Would it be possible to get rid of our current hot water cylinder and save space with a combi? Is this even the best option? We want something reliable. Please help!

To be honest, the repairs are all free for 7 years, doubt Grundfos or your expansion vessel manufacturer will be out to replace them FOC in the same time period.

It's not very often you replace a grundfos pump under 7 years old unless the system is choked up then warranty won't cover them anyway. And how much is an external expansion vessel? Not a lot and it is a case of undo 2 screws and a nut pull out and put new one in.

Are both your current bathroom showers fed by the hot water tank or is one electric? I would say a 40kw combi would serve two bathrooms but your incoming water pressure and flow rate.

back to the topic. you will need somebody qualified to look at the system and go through then recommend what will best suit you. Post in looking for a plumber section and somebody will pop in.

i don't care,baxi is king in system and combi boilers,am off to get whats her name,my mum and going to the Winchester for a pint,then run over the zombies in me landy

BoilerLady - where abouts in the country are you? most on here would be happy to help

On a side note, Don't some of the old netaheat mk2's have asbestos rope seals aswell. Worth checking and making new installer aware of.

On a side note, Don't some of the old netaheat mk2's have asbestos rope seals aswell. Worth checking and making new installer aware of.

Be alright boy, just hold your breath as your chucking it on driveway

Hi all,

Hi Boilerlady, and welcome to UK Plumbers Forum.

Why are you looking to replace your boiler? Is it still working ok, or has it been costing you a lot in maintenance?

Oddly enough, my in-Laws also have a Netaheat 2, and asked me the same question today. Bearing in mind that a) the Netaheat 2 was probably the best wall-hung boiler of its day and b) the in-Laws are relatively hardy souls who don't have the heating on much and c) have reasonable fuel bills - my advice was to leave well enough alone. Have it serviced, make sure its safe, and thank the good folk in the old Potterton plant in Warwick for making such a robust appliance.

Change it when it needs changing. Not before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I need someone to replace my boiler, I am...
Replies
Views
There must be many installations that are in...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
The only pump found so far is fitted next to...
Replies
Views
Back