Fire advice | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Fire advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoggy

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all just got a question regarding replacing a gas fire, the one that is in is life flame effect, coal bed and up a proper chimney like as if it was solid fuel and the lady wants it replacing with a balanced flue going straight out the back as its an outside wall. I fit boilers and service fire so just looking for advice on do I just remove all the bottome chimney blocks until I reach brick then core through, will I need to leave some form of ventilation and could this be done with a vent on outside, obviously concern if vent is close to flue that poc will renter property. Any help appreciated. Thanks Martyn.

you need to be very carefull because most B/F gas fire flues don't extend above 24'' so if you have to take into account an exsisting flue depth this can often take you over this threshhold. Also if you flue through you must block the old conventional flue aswell

re need for a vent, why would you want one for a b/f flued fire which would have a sealed fire front. As above, trying to fit a b/f fire onto a hearth/firplace on a normal chimmney wouldnt normally work as the fire flues are designed for twin skinned walls, not including the depth of a fireplace as well, unless you can get a flue extention

Thanks for the reply so how would I block the old chimney off as I assume I need to leave some form of vent to prevent damp but obviously it's difficult as I don't know how to go about it with the balanced flue being there. The other option was put a liner down but I felt more competent doing the balanced flue.

fit a register plate to protect the fire/flue and a vent will be needed to vent the chimmney further up the wall over the register plate and make sure the chimmney has been swept properly before closing it up to avoid damp gathering in old soot.

What further up on the outside wall for the vent? If the flue is long enough am I right thinking take the starter chimney blocks out the large per cast one and then behind them will be brick, will it open out like a large opening like behind regular gas fires?

vent on the inside wall of the chimmney to get warm air into it. builders opening normally a large rectangle and this is filled in with the fire bricks formimg the fireplace and and infill behind the firebricks should/could be weak cement and vermiculite mix or more likely a ton of rubble.

Where would you put the vent just above fire or ceiling height or 1st floor? Give me a boiler any day but works shy at min so try not to turn anything away just want to get it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

E
It sounds like that needs to be sealed from...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I would suspect that there is insufficient...
Replies
Views
T
Haha, already in! I had the fan bought before...
Replies
Views
tintin
T
Chris Hello again Chris, You are correct...
Replies
Views
Thanks for clearing that up!
Replies
Views
Back