fire and back boiler, connecting fire only | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss fire and back boiler, connecting fire only in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdodds2004

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
hey guys

had a phone call, somebody had a fire and back boiler disconeccted and combi fittted by the council, left boiler and fire in situe, had a call asking me to re-connect the fire only, what are peoples opinions on this,

my old gaffer was old skool and used to cap off the gas supply for boiler and remove the burner if possible and aslong as fire passed a flue flow and spillage test would allow it be kept on.

do other people agree with this and what is general practice here, or should it be removed?

it will work safely but you have to seek the manufacturers advice on this baxi say they dont recommend it so if something go,s wrong your in the brown stuff

dont remove the burner bb must be complete just turn of on three way and remove electric supply to gas valve
pipework to boiler should be left open and opening should remain sealed as normal

dont remove the burner bb must be complete just turn of on three way and remove electric supply to gas valve
pipework to boiler should be left open and opening should remain sealed as normal

sorry this is not good advice, to turn off just the boiler at the 3 way valve cant be done, you can only turn off the fire only from the valve, and even if you could it would not be classed as a permanent disconnection, remove the electrical supply to the gas valve, disconnect and remove the gas valve, then remove the gas connection, using a 1/2" radiator allan key, then fit an appropriate 1/2" FI cap to the tail, this way ensures the supplies cannot be reinstated accidently to the boiler,

I agree with kirkgas, i have always decommissioned back boilers by taking out the burner and gas valve and capping the 1/2" tail.

ill not argue about wether it should be capped but im certain the burner has to remain in situ or the boiler isnt working as its designed to

As said earlier ring the manufacture, baxi told me the burner tray should be left in.

ill not argue about wether it should be capped but im certain the burner has to remain in situ or the boiler isnt working as its designed to

each manufacturer will decide whether their burner is to remain in or not, it is neither here nor there, the important point is to PROPERLY disconnect the electrical andgas supplies, turning off a 3 way valve would not be accepted as permanent, and as i said in the case of baxi you cant turn off the boiler and leave the fire on anyway

If the combi has been fitted by the council, it is a council property?

If so, with out the councils permission, I would not touch it

I would be very careful, and treat the works as a new install, as you never saw the back boiler working.

Are you planning to re-notify to GSR the fire installation?

I have and would leave a back boiler fire working, but would not do as you have being asked.

Kev.

you think? i am approaching with caution mate, thats why i posted on here, when i was employed by my x gaffer i did it a few times when changing systems, he always removed burner and capped it off,

but i get what your saying about re installing the fire, :(

Did some of this for council in Plymouth, they want burner / gas valve / electrics removed cap supply to boiler unit make sure that boiler is empty of water, BG engineers are now drilling holes in back boiler, CORGI did a paper on this about 4 years ago .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

when I removed the back coal saver I can now...
Replies
Views
You'd have to have gas meter removed if you...
Replies
Views
Thanks for this, much appreciated. Andrew
Replies
Views
Sounds like you have found a blockage, if so...
Replies
Views
RobinA
R
Back