fire and boiler service | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss fire and boiler service in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pauls

got my first boiler and fire service coming up, need to get some smoke pellets.

to test the flue pull on the fire is it just the standard smoke matches i need.

i am seriously worried that you re asking how to do a flue flow test and spillage test
how long ago did you qualify

got my first boiler and fire service coming up, need to get some smoke pellets.

to test the flue pull on the fire is it just the standard smoke matches i need.

Remove the fire, remove the dead pigeon from the cathcment area, warm up the flue with your blow lamp, smoke pellet it, check smoke isnt coming through the brick feathers in the loft, check its coming out of the chimney through a suitable pot, same again with any extracter fans on etc etc etc, been a while since Ive done one, i dont like gas fires the are the devils heating device.Check ventilation is up to scratch etc etc

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry guys but someone should not be asking how to do a flue flow and spillage test or giving them a abridged version of the test
this is one of the most dangerous mistakes to make with open flue appliances
pauls i suggest you go back to basics because this is what this is

sorry guys but someone should not be asking how to do a flue flow and spillage test or giving them a abridged version of the test
this is one of the most dangerous mistakes to make with open flue appliances
pauls i suggest you go back to basics because this is what this is

Yes your correct with that, back to basics Paul, time to pull out the old books.

no i know how to do it, i just wanted to know if it was standard smoke matches for the spillage test that was all.

come on pauls ,standard smoke matches?
get to merchants and ask for a box of smoke matches,not swan vesta ,s
its a really basic question you would expect off a 1,st year apprentice not a gsr engineer

i know what you mean..... i wasnt asking how to do it im happy with the procedure just had a question on the some matches.

i suppose i could have worded it better

well sorry but smoke matches are for doing a spillage test not a flue flow test
two completley different things
whatever you need to get some experience really as it would seem you have never done a flue flow and spillage test

Shouldn't you carry smoke matches/pellets on your van ? Have you serviced a open flue appliance before ?

has nobody ever done a flue/spillage test for the first time alone?
obviously there are no special smoke matches.
buy your matches and bombs from your merchant, its not like asda with a 100 different types of shampoo, you will be lucky to have a choice.
reread your books, check the manufacturers instructions, reread bs5440, use your new 'matches'
if you can do that, then no problem. if you cant then shouldnt be doing the job !!

Personal opinion only

Think maybe some are being a bit harsh,maybe he has not done the test since his assessment,lots only do it then with the new appliances these days,you can go ages ,not coming across a back boiler, many do get confused/lack conference when come to doing a test once every three or four years
However it is important that if someone is not sure ,they should ask rather than do the tests incorrectly....dammed if you do,dammed if you don't

When I first started would do quite a few a week,now I do mostly on fires during gsr's,I have not done back boiler for about couple of months
Maybe a pointer were to find procedure and regs involved,so the person can do his own refresher and reference work
At least it shows he is taking the work seriously and wants to do it correctly
After all you are not suppose to remember everything,you are suppose to be able to look up and reference the correct ,valid information
re reading ,I think pauls posts are being twisted a bit
IMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
what is your specific question about matches? there is a lot to check on a back boiler and fire set up,they normally take me a hour and half to service properly

the fire is seprate from the boiler. gas man and im happy with serviceing them they have the mi's and i will follow serviceing instructions as they state. it was just the smoke matches i was unsure of to be able to carry out the spillage test. but thankyou.

obviously this is my first service on a fire i want to make sure i am 100% correct in what im doing

did a spillage test last friday '2', are you supposed to do a flue test as well?.

you can buy those smoke pens paul, but expensive, matches seem cheeper specially if you loose them.
burning newspaper works too...he

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

All fixed. Changing the nozzle and cleaning...
Replies
Views
How recent is recent? What paperwork have you...
Replies
Views
Np Simon. Hoping to get the boiler engineer...
Replies
Views
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
G
Didn’t grease the oring before refitting...
Replies
Views
Back