Fire rating of inspection hatches for flues in voids.... | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Fire rating of inspection hatches for flues in voids.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

capitanpugwash

So the Technical Bulletin for flues in voids states that the inspection hatch has to be 60 mins fire rating. I am just about to install a flue into a lowered ceiling which will need an inspection hatch for viewing. The owner is not keen on shelling out £50+ for a purpose made inspection hatch as it is in a utlity room and I can't help but agree. Can I use fireline board of, say 450 x 450 and have a screw on each corner to make it easily accessible? Or would a piece of metal suffice from the local smithy?

I can see why you might need 60 minutes fireproofing when dealing with flues through blocks of flats where fire spreading is of concern, but you put a flue from the kitchen through a conservatory, say, and it looks ugly, so you decide to box it in. I can understand the need for an inspection cover to allow inspection of the flue but requiring 60 minutes fire resistance in the hatch is frankly bizarre...:chillpill:

Where do you buy ellis board? Is it like fireline board? I'm guessing it comes in 1800 x 900mm sheets. I suppose I could rip it to 450 x 450mm size and have 7 spares I suppose!

its just what we call it here its the same as white fireboard

Well I think the inspection hatches are another knee jerk load of bkolcos!! Who is going to open them up? They'll become useful only when something goes wrong!! ..................Or maybe that's there real purpose? .............Makes sense i guess!!!............O well, hohum ....!!! *laughing*

cant honestly see the reason for a 1 hour rated hatch on a 1/2 hour rated plaster board ceiling, thats hiding a 5 minute rated plastic flue pipe.

cant honestly see the reason for a 1 hour rated hatch on a 1/2 hour rated plaster board ceiling, thats hiding a 5 minute rated plastic flue pipe.

i would guess it down to the logic of many voids may be in flats as captain mentioned , flats require more than 1/2 hour fire rated walls in many cases, so sticking to 1 hour makes sense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Got a call yesterday, I'll come with you and...
Replies
Views
Check out document Part B building regs. It...
Replies
Views
R
I thought hatches only needed to be fire rated...
Replies
Views
The flue with 2 flue brackets on it for...
Replies
Views
Mate, all you need to do is everything, to...
Replies
Views
Back