Fire service advice/checks? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Fire service advice/checks? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
alright chaps. More advice needed if you will oblige please I’m servicing a fire tomorrow and just wanted some pointers on what to be looking for. I will be having a flick through my books tonight as I haven’t touched one since the class room. Hopefully MIs will be there to check what they require. Cheers guys.

Speaking of MI’s - Unless you are familiar with the Coal Layout - DO NOT start if you don’t have them and cannot download them. Don’t rely on a before photo as the chances are that they are on wrongly.
If the coal base has peaks upon which you place the coals, be VERY aware that they are fragile. If you do the natural thing and grasp a peak to lift it almost certainly will break, and they can be 3 figures to replace.

Inspect everything carefully and point out any cracks etc to the punter and take photos - you do not want to get landed with “it was okay before...,,,,,,”

I always had punters sign my T&C’s which clearly said, and I had pointed out on the phone, that even if I have to cap off the fire the service charge stands. And that return visits will be chargeable - the flue may have a birds nest for example

Check ventilation and remove cover to check it has not been blocked and of adequate size. Get smoke matches and bombs. A cover to put over the carpet. Something to put the coals in. Check builders opening conforms to size and the hearth and for debris behind. Check whole chimney length for leaks and make sure smoke comes out of only one pot. Make sure pot conforms. Any dampener in the permanently fixed open. Defo have MI to hand

alright chaps. More advice needed if you will oblige please I’m servicing a fire tomorrow and just wanted some pointers on what to be looking for. I will be having a flick through my books tonight as I haven’t touched one since the class room. Hopefully MIs will be there to check what they require. Cheers guys.
Which fire? or at least which type?

I’m assuming it’s an inset fire to be honest. I’m not to sure. Anything 7kw or less don’t need any other ventilation due to adventitious ??

Last edited:
You need the mi's for the correct place to perform the spillage test. Take out the fire and with torch visual check of catchment space and condition of chimney / flue liner and terminal then bomb chimney not forgetting to check in loft. If flue liner check the seal round the spigot fire box. Any holes from old BB pipes are sealed and the closer plate tape you use if needed is in date & approved (not gaffer tape). Remember your 26.9 regs (****) and you should be ok. Always do a TT before & LDF test nipples on meter & burner after TT and burner pressure test. Fill out your service report get it signed and keep all records for 6yrs.

You need the mi's for the correct place to perform the spillage test. Take out the fire and with torch visual check of catchment space and condition of chimney / flue liner and terminal then bomb chimney not forgetting to check in loft. If flue liner check the seal round the spigot fire box. Any holes from old BB pipes are sealed and the closer plate tape you use if needed is in date & approved (not gaffer tape). Remember your 26.9 regs (****) and you should be ok. Always do a TT before & LDF test nipples on meter & burner after TT and burner pressure test. Fill out your service report get it signed and keep all records for 6yrs.
6uts. Mine go back at least 9 ha ha

I’m assuming it’s an inset fire to be honest. I’m not to sure. Anything 7kw or less don’t need any other ventilation due to adventitious ??

If it’s an inset be careful of it being fitted correctly, eg the cable fixings, also you might need a replacement kit? Some you can just drill back on, it that’s if there’s a suitable fixing point.

Sorry guys. I always forget to update. I ended up capping the fire off. On initial inspection the fire looked brand new and hardly used but do you think the flue liner would pull? Not a chance. Even after heating for 15minutes it wouldn’t pull. I didn’t see any dampers in place and ended up cutting it off. The customers were kind enough to inform me that the chimney pot had fallen off previously and a new one fitted. They were unsure how long the pot had been missing. As I was only there for a safety check I advised that we could come back and further investigate which annoys me cos it could have been done on the day. The joys of working for someone else.

Just wanted to add that all dfe’s require a minimum of 100cm2 ventilation unless specifically stated in the MI’s.

That 100cm2 already includes adventitious air allowance. So if a second dfe was installed in the same room, you would need to increase ventilation by 135cm2 for the second fire.

Similar plumbing topics

I've tidied up this thread and banned a user...
Replies
Views
I do two services stnd and a 5 yearly strip...
Replies
Views
The housing association I work for only get...
Replies
Views
Thanks very much for your help.
Replies
Views
Yes, all that was in place. Just had no idea...
Replies
Views
Back