first bit of plumbing work to do | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss first bit of plumbing work to do in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

P

Pete3690

So some of you may have seen my thread in looking for work section as im in need of an apprenticeship, any way, just done my level 1, all sorted now.

Got a phone call of my mate, said his mums had a new sink put in and the waste pipe seems to be leaking/come loose, so shall be looking at it at the weekend.

Anyway, first bit of work since I've done that, haven't really done anything like this before, so am understandably nervous :\

I dont want to assume anything, (as a rather well known phrase, assumptions are the mother of all mass ups). But anyway, I'd think it would be something rather simple :)

Any advice people? Also, what was your very first piece of work you had to do for a customer?

Last edited by a moderator:
could possibly be the waste connection to the sink, if it one of those cheap b&q traps they only seal face to face i always fit mcalpine which have a small flange which goes inside the sink waste.
can't remember what my first job was have to put my thinking cap on lol

Just take your time,if no isolation valves on supplies to sink,put them on,that was you can turn water back on to everything else and take pressure off you and allow you to take things steady

ps just seen new sink already put in,thought you was going to do it,as said probably just a joint needs tighteniing

Can not remember first job I did,first full heating system I did by myself was for my sister,seemed to take forever,every pipe ,even under the floor,was spot on,all correct falls ect now I just throw it in,about a week later there was water coming through the hall ceiling,she screamed at me,saying,''if I could not do the job,should have said'' ect,she made me feel rubbish and really guilty

I could not understand it,as I had taken so much time on everything...... she got someone else in,turned out the electrician had put two nails through the pipes when putting floor boards back,he was a friend of her's,she just said to him,never mind,these things happen,I should have told him pipes were there !!

She never apologised to me for the trouble she caused to the family and the dent to my conference.......as it turned out it was a good early lesson to learn

When you get a customer from Hell and think to yourself ,they can not possibly have a family,just maybe pushed up through a smoldering crack in the earths surface,well they do have a family ,I know because my sister is one of them :sad_smile:

could possibly be the waste connection to the sink, if it one of those cheap b&q traps they only seal face to face i always fit mcalpine which have a small flange which goes inside the sink waste.
can't remember what my first job was have to put my thinking cap on lol

Yeah I'm assuming its something minor i.e its not done up tight enough, or perhaps hes cut the waste pipe to short in the hope it would work, was just given a rather vague description on what the problem was, and well, having never done anything like this am slightly apprehensive :)

Just take your time,if no isolation valves on supplies to sink,put them on,that was you can turn water back on to everything else and take pressure off you and allow you to take things steady

Can not remember first job I did,first full heating system I did by myself was for my sister,seemed to take forever,every pipe ,even under the floor,was spot on,all correct falls ect now I just throw it in,about a week later there was water coming through the hall ceiling,she screamed at me,saying,''if I could not do the job,should have said'' ect,she made me feel rubbish and really guilty

I could not understand it,as I had taken so much time on everything...... she got someone else in,turned out the electrician had put two nails through the pipes when putting floor boards back,he was a friend of her's,she just said to him,never mind,these things happen,I should have told him pipes were there !!

She never apologised to me for the trouble she caused to the family and the dent to my conference.......as it turned out it was a good early lesson to learn

Thanks for the advice, sounds like that was a rough old time you went through, I have a sister to, I get just the same reactions when even suggesting things to her lol woman eh? :(

I think my first ever plumbing job was wiping a lead joint with my old man when I was about 11. Lighting the paraffin blow torch was an art in itself and none of this holding it upside down.

As I am not qualified yet, looking at this as a career change - I have however done a few plumbing jobs on a house I rent out, las t week was a classic.

Tennant moves out reports the kitchen tap is leaking, so she goes I am in for a day or two to smarten house and of course fix a leaking tap - Easy!!!

Put hand through hole in panel to turn off stopcock - no problem

Remove and replace washer on tap - no problem

Go back turn on stopcock - feels wet!!

Goes back to try tap - all good - feeling pleased as punch.

Lets go back and check why stopcock wet - ARRGHHH whoever had used the stopcock last obviously left a leaking stopcock with tape on it bodged (container below also)

So called in a plumber to fix lol

So some of you may have seen my thread in looking for work section as im in need of an apprenticeship, any way, just done my level 1, all sorted now.

Got a phone call of my mate, said his mums had a new sink put in and the waste pipe seems to be leaking/come loose, so shall be looking at it at the weekend.

Anyway, first bit of work since I've done that, haven't really done anything like this before, so am understandably nervous :\

I dont want to assume anything, (as a rather well known phrase, assumptions are the mother of all mass ups). But anyway, I'd think it would be something rather simple :)

Any advice people? Also, what was your very first piece of work you had to do for a customer?
Just take your time andyou will be fine, might just be the waste/overflow assembly is loose/leaking

All I can say is that if you mess up. And it's 7 pm and you have to rush to b and q to try and fix it
Feeling as low as possible because you've just broken a sink and its all your fault

Don't let it put you off!!!

I look back. And if I didn't make them mistakes I wouldn't be the plumber I am now.

The more you can do now the better you will be for it

Just a little pointer thou. When screwing the plug into waste dont over do it. The plastic can snap easy!

All I can say is that if you mess up. And it's 7 pm and you have to rush to b and q to try and fix it
Feeling as low as possible because you've just broken a sink and its all your fault

Don't let it put you off!!!

I look back. And if I didn't make them mistakes I wouldn't be the plumber I am now.

The more you can do now the better you will be for it

Just a little pointer thou. When screwing the plug into waste dont over do it. The plastic can snap easy!

Thanks for the good advice! :)

Also if it is a standard cheap assembly kit i prefer to use clear sealant rather than the washer that is meant to join between top grating and sink

I had heard somewhere it was best to do this, I shall have a look when I go there on Saturday :)

confident plumber.jpgYou will be as confident as this when you have fixed the leak

you have scared the poor lad off now he asked how to fix the waste not how to join YMCA LOL,i am sure you will fix it pete if its cheap weird b=q or ikea kit as said mcalpine traps etc are quality stuff and common in most places now,just replace with mcalpine

Thanks, I'm not scared off, just nerves thats all lol :)

Good Luck!!!
Wobbly knees are all part of it, helps remind you that you never stop learning...
I'm sure everyone still gets a flutter of nerves once in a while, either when something goes a bit pear shaped, or when you are looking at something thinking WTF is that or why isn't that working...

Hope it goes well for you :)

A bit disappointed that none of the experts warned Pete not to empty the contents of the waste trap down the sink. Not that I've ever done that, of course...

had to do the same quigley with a screwdriver did about 20 with 2 left to do and the boss came round some acid.....erm cheers boss but a bit late now,something tells me he did it on purpose

A bit disappointed that none of the experts warned Pete not to empty the contents of the waste trap down the sink. Not that I've ever done that, of course...

Still do it now!! look like a right idiot if the customers stood behind you questioning your every move!!!

well as I say I didnt get the chance to do it but life goes on.

just bought a 2nd hand pipe bender and guides, along with some other little bits tool wise.

plan on fitting a toilet and basin in at mine & the misses house, will update as I do it, wont be for a few weeks yet :)

Similar plumbing topics

Hve you tried pulling the large chrome part...
Replies
Views
Update on this post I finally got round to...
Replies
Views
Only level 3 available. I understand where...
Replies
Views
Looks like a knuckle bend to me. Can still get...
Replies
Views
Should have it done in a day. If you’re a bit...
Replies
Views
Back