First boiler install questions !! | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss First boiler install questions !! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Foster777

Hi all,

just a quick question from a novice!

I started to do my first bit of pipe work on a veissman 26kw heat only boiler the other day, aswel as coreing the flu out and installing flu, with a little help from my mentor I may add.
I piped up the flow and return, which come off the top of the boiler, however my mentor said to include a unequal tee, 2 x 22mm and a 15mm so that he could put the expansion vessel on. I was so In grossed on what I was doing, and didn't ask the questions that I am now having to ask here, also I've already forgot what I did :).

would the expansion vessel tee of the flow, hence taking the expansion for the heated water?
also, apart from the gas, would there be anything else coming off the boiler other than what I have already mentioned? And, where would the pump be on a heat only boiler? As when I piped up the flow, no pump was on there?

i didn't see the completed boiler install, hence why I'm asking these questions and would be greatfull for the advice given,

cheers.

Don't think we are allowed to answer your questions on public forum but one of the mods will confirm this for you.

No, didn't look at the cylinder cupboard as the boiler was in the customers outbuilding/garage.

seems harmless enough questions to me.:behead:
as said pump most likely in airing cupboard along with motorised valve/valves depending on set up.
if its sealed there will be a pressure relief pipe.
as its new, therefore condensing, a condense pipe.
expansion vessel best on return as its subject to cooler temperature, but everything really will depend on the job, space, pipe layout etc.
and above all the manufacturers instructions.

ask to take the installation manual home for some bedtime reading, but take it back the next day.
It will all start to fit into place.

Great tip about the boiler manual. When I was learning I wrote to a few manufacturers asking if they could spare a few manuals for me to look through. Potterton sent every manual for every boiler from the previous 10 years!! My mum went mad when around 100 boiler manuals were being delivered!

best advice would be to talk to your mentor after all what else is he there for if not to teach you, if you sit around and dont ask you wont learn but will get a thump in future for not knowing if you have seen him do it before!

But having said that it doesn't hurt to come on here to reinforce and clarify.....

Thanks for the advice given. Simon. F, I cannot wait for that day to come! I have a long road ahead, so much to learn and so much I don't know! And ya, the manual is a good idea, will try and get my hands on some for various boilers. I won't be installing any boilers properly at least for another 2 years, but feel that if I can understand the principles and different systems used etc then it will help everything fall into place.
Cheers

can we agree to disagree on this one as the lad has a job with someone in the real world and needs to start asking to start learning properly, Id rather have a kid pestering me and learning than sit around and go on the net in an evening to try and pick up on what is so easy to show when the kits under his nose. After all this one seems to have an apprentership when so many dont, so dont waste what he has, there wont be a second chance if he doesnt use it. What he needs to use us for is help when he has screwed up and needs to sort out his cock up before his boss finds out the next day, then we can help him out properly:)

Ha, lame plumber, I will take onboard your comments :) however, I havnt started my apprenticeship yet, I start in September but its very hard to ask lots of questions when there is work to be done. I'm very lucky to get an apprenticeship, and believe me, it's come at a considerable cost. I joined the forum in order to get ahead and to try and get my head around things quicker, in turn, I will be more cost effective for my mentor and will be earning him money quickly thus, my wages going up. I'm asking genuine questions and yes, probably running before I can walk. I ask questions throughout the day when I'm with my mentor, but I'm conscious not to ask to much, also it's one thing being a very good plumber/heating engineer but another, being able to teach people the trade and get things across, another reason why I'm clarifying on the forum and asking questions that you guys will know the answers too.
cheers.

nice one to do what you have done, just get out there and ask and watch, sitting and quiet just doesnt work for me especially when I wa paying apprentices, so after 3 on the trot i stopped having them, bit harsh but what is the point in carting round a sack of spuds all day. My best lad was the one handing out the right tools without asking after a couple of weeks, havent ever found one like him again:(

I've had the quiet sack of spud apprentices, I've also had the keen as mustard, ask questions and still look up stuff on t'interweb at night.

I know which I'd prefer.

nice one to do what you have done, just get out there and ask and watch, sitting and quiet just doesnt work for me especially when I wa paying apprentices, so after 3 on the trot i stopped having them, bit harsh but what is the point in carting round a sack of spuds all day. My best lad was the one handing out the right tools without asking after a couple of weeks, havent ever found one like him again:(

maybe your a plumber/gas engineer but you don't sound much like a teacher . which is a totally different skill and maybe you just ain't cut out to teach

Last edited by a moderator:
main skill , knowing when to apply sharp pressure to numpties skull:)

maybe your a plumber/gas engineer but you don't sound much like a teacher . which is a totally different skill and maybe you just ain't cut out to teach

spent a lot of years teaching people how to do it in the RN, but they wanted to learn, some of the molluscs trying to become plumbers dont understand the meaning of learning if truth be told.

I've spent most of my life teaching people to do my job. It's totally different to being good at your job .i know tradesmen that are fantastic at their job but useless at training. God I've tried to train some numties .some will never learn some take it in their stride. You can tell a good one straight away. I wish I could meet a plumber that was as keen to teach me.

its easy teaching people/kids who want to learn the skill is teaching those who don't or ain't that confident/outgoing in themselves.

its easy teaching people/kids who want to learn the skill is teaching those who don't or ain't that confident/outgoing in themselves.

Dont think you need to be outgoing or confident just keen to learn. At the moment I'm training a very confident polish guy but he's useless . I could get him sacked tomorrow but that's not me .while ever he's with me I'll do my best .

I've had the quiet sack of spud apprentices, I've also had the keen as mustard, ask questions and still look up stuff on t'interweb at night.

I know which I'd prefer.

The one thats silly enough to change a pump on 2" flanges live.......

*whistles*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

hi, no current pipework in concrete i believe...
Replies
Views
Stick with heat only. You most probably still...
Replies
Views
No they just do the address, thank goodness...
Replies
Views
👍🏻 I knew the fire ones had to be, we've done...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Back