First day in the academy | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter Old Account
  • Start date
  • Replies 23
  • Views 168

Discuss First day in the academy in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Old Account

hi guys

I just had today the first day and we talked a lot about combustion.
However, there is a new rule coming out in October this year. There is no more fast courses as you will need to proof you have worked with an gas safe engineer for a minimum of 6months and have a big bunch of pictures written up. Basically a huge portfolio is expected. Finally they understood it's no point of having a fast course done as you are not experienced afterwards.

I am very pleased with the first day as I learned something which I have never seen from a qualified engineer. They have told us yesterday, that whenever you work on gas/ changing a boiler you will need to put a temporary continuity bond at the meters and take the meter half off / cap meter and gas pipe and then you can start working. But if you need to cut into the gas pipe you will require another temporary continuity bond.

I mean, I knew about the continuity bond but that you have to carry two and you have to use whenever you do something on the system was knew for me.

Are you guys doing so?

I believe 95%not but if something happen then you will literally F... :)

Did you not always need a portfolio and be working with a gas safe fitter already on the register?
Good luck with the course.

I thought that you did. But who knows with all the changes that happen in this industry :p

Only need to use a bond if there's no bonding and main supply is pe

If it's bonded and steel pipe don't need to use as both ends are already earthed

What and where is the academy Ron ?

I am doing with Alpha Building services in east London.

I also know that you need always a portfolio but I meant is now they will extend the learning progress and the protfolio. It will be very difficult to collect that much.

@ShaunCorbs how comes that he told me then you will always need the temporary bond even though it's already bonded? It does not make any sense to me.

He clearly said whenever you work on gas pipes you will need to put the bond before the ecv and the other clip immediately on the outlet Pipe. Now, when you want to change a fitting at the gas pipe you need another bond clip before the fitting and after the fitting and then remove the right hand site of the gas meter cap the meter off and cap the pipe off but not tight just lose. Now you can cut the fitting out and re fit a new one.

Once it's been done tightness test

That's the way he explained it.

Either he hasn't got a clue my tutor or every academy teaches different things. I will ask him once more next week Friday. I will keep you updated guys.

Can understand the fitting one

As if it's live your removing it's earth connection and replacing it with you if you don't bond

Ask him for an explanation that's what your paying for

There more scared of anything tbh

He is probably basing it on the fact that the gas pipe may be the only pipe in the house that is bonded ( at the meter ) so if you cut the gas pipe anywhere else in the house the pipe will be earthed one side and not the other? That's my understanding anyway:D:D

Can understand the fitting one

As if it's live your removing it's earth connection and replacing it with you if you don't bond

Ask him for an explanation that's what your paying for

There more scared of anything tbh

I am not scared of asking. I thought, he may know what he is talking about.
here that's the setup at the academy.
I don't know I'll ask him on Friday again.

IMG_1518.JPG

As above so there's a good start :D

Your electrical bond is in the wrong place.:p:p:p
Might be I am just a learner :)
That's the setup at the academy as far as I can remember I'll take a picture next time to show you again. I don't want to confuse anyone. Let's stop here and I'll update you. You may can help them out.

matchless we all kind of like you on here , and good for you for trying to get on bud especially after getting screwed by the other outfit you will find a lot of things you do in the academy just don't get used when our qualified you find your own way of working you need to get through it all to get registered just accept what they teach you and you will get through it all the best kop

matchless we all kind of like you on here , and good for you for trying to get on bud especially after getting screwed by the other outfit you will find a lot of things you do in the academy just don't get used when our qualified you find your own way of working you need to get through it all to get registered just accept what they teach you and you will get through it all the best kop

It was just weird as I would like to know the right way and not the way other engineers do. I would like to use the way, they showed me. I was just wondering and comparing. However,
Thank you for your wishes.

Kind regards
Ron

Might be I am just a learner :)
That's the setup at the academy as far as I can remember I'll take a picture next time to show you again. I don't want to confuse anyone. Let's stop here and I'll update you. You may can help them out.
Just busting your balls mate :p:p
But while I'm at at your ECV handle is facing downwards:p:p:p

Just busting your balls mate :p:p
But while I'm at at your ECV handle is facing downwards:p:p:p
:rolleyes:o_OOf course it is, would be boring if it were uprighto_O:p
However, I'll take a few pics if he doesn't say anything :) first day he said no picture here allowe hahhaho_O

Never got this whole fuss about continuity. No plumber carries equipment to actually check earth impedence so for all you know your temp bond is doing sod all. Then you get guys putting coils of earth on every pipe going to the boiler even though boiler has earth in the plug, earth from water and gas mains (and again we have no way of knowing if the earth in the house is any good at all)

I will do whatever they asked me to do when doing the acs. As I said I've never seen anyone using the continuity bond. In Germany they don't use it at all. But, I can understand the point of it.

I have two sets of TCB's in my van, they're called jump leads. On my last inspection the GSI was not best pleased because they were not green & yellow, (as if the colour of them really matters) and they always get used if a GSI is around. Or I'm sweating a joint I always disconnect the meter and apply TCB's.

Never got this whole fuss about continuity. No plumber carries equipment to actually check earth impedence so for all you know your temp bond is doing sod all. Then you get guys putting coils of earth on every pipe going to the boiler even though boiler has earth in the plug, earth from water and gas mains (and again we have no way of knowing if the earth in the house is any good at all)
So hold on a minute. Does that mean I have wasted my money on socket and see?

So hold on a minute. Does that mean I have wasted my money on socket and see?

I've got myself a fluke one untill I've been politely told that the only thing they check is the socket you test it at. If the boiler is wired to a spur you still need to get the multimeter out and test manually for polarity.
Wiring in alot of houses is so dodgy that even expert electricians would need a good while to make sense of it. Prelevance of plastic fittings, acrylic baths etc that can break continuity you might as well just do sign of the cross instead of temporary bond it will do just as much good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

H
Prob blocked / frozen condense pipe does it...
Replies
Views
The boiler is just responding by limiting the...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I am looking for an experienced...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Many thanks for the advice.
Replies
Views
Under the Energy Price Cap rates from 1...
Replies
Views
Back