first underfloor heating project... | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss first underfloor heating project... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted808

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
The situation is this.. a customer has approached me to install UF heating in one room. Their garage is attatched to their house and is going to b converted into a study, with loads of bookshelves, therefor the UF. I have read and researched quite a bit about UF but what I would like is any aditional advice.
They have an unvented gravity system, with a wall hung conventional boiler. I was going to run a UF circuit off the central heating with seperate control/ manifold. Using a one room pack from upnor.

The thing that is bothering me is the floor... So i lay the insulation, the pipe and then? The scree? I suppose i have to work that bit out with the builder but i am presuming he will ask me..
i look forward to any suggestions...
Ted

Where are you located ?

Lay the insulation then the pipe, pressure test leave under test while its screeded then once screeded connect to manifold job done

Why not connect to manifold then pressure test???? Will look crap if not.
Pressure test to 6 bar and leave under pressure until screed laid as said above
This will stop pipe being crushed under weight of screed
Make sure you don't put to thick a screed down

The situation is this.. a customer has approached me to install UF heating in one room. Their garage is attatched to their house and is going to b converted into a study, with loads of bookshelves, therefor the UF. I have read and researched quite a bit about UF but what I would like is any aditional advice.
They have an unvented gravity system, with a wall hung conventional boiler. I was going to run a UF circuit off the central heating with seperate control/ manifold. Using a one room pack from upnor.

The thing that is bothering me is the floor... So i lay the insulation, the pipe and then? The scree? I suppose i have to work that bit out with the builder but i am presuming he will ask me..
i look forward to any suggestions...
Ted

Would love to come and help, free of course, if you are in bucks, beds, south, north, west london, please let me know.

Hi, i'm in North london, thanks for top tips.. will keep you updated. Need to have more discussions with customer and i'm away for a week. Chhers Ted

Ted, i dont know if you have spoken to uponor? they are normally very helpful with advise on design and installation. I have had there engineers out on site to advise me in the past and they will also do you a design if you ask them nice.

Thanks I did contact them and they have taken job description and will get back to me.

Hi there, thanks again for advice and well crunch time... the job is going ahead! I have the Uponor pack on order for delivery next week and I guess by the end of the week I'll be laying it down and negotiating for the builder to scree the floor..
Gray0689, what thickness do you sugest? I mean I got no idea what is thick or thin?
Also, now I've had a closer look, because the floor is solid, I will have to T into the current CH under a rad in the adjacent loo... This will mean the manifold is about 5-6m away from the rad.(4bends min-6max?) Should I run 15mm to the manifold or 22mm, which seems wrong, 15-22- UFH?15mm. And also where do I put the control, there must be a thermostat, ideal position or something?
Thanks
:freak:

You can get different types of screen these days depends on use if you want to use as a thermals mass then normally about 100mm but you can also get liquid screed that can go down to about 40mm but will release heat quicker but cools down quicker also
But new products are coming all the time new ones are sand cement basses and can be thinner
Speak to your floor man he can advice on types

Don't understand what you mean about teeing in to rad
The manifold needs 28mm (22mm if not a big amount of pipe) then to some type of mixing valve then controlled vie room stats to actuator heads on manifold underfloor should be able to work independent to other heating ie radiators/hot water

Just incase this helps. You don't need to have the UFH in a screed, it can be fitted with joist or floating floor :0)

Best tip for when it comes to filling. Purge one loop at a time until there is absolutely no air left in each loop. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I have connected the secondary pump to a wifi...
Replies
Views
H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
P
Hi, this was a brilliantly explained post...
Replies
Views
I have since learnt that this is a omnie...
Replies
Views
Back