First week of sitework bathrooms | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss First week of sitework bathrooms in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

K

kay-jay

Well my first week of sitework bathrooms is complete. Working on a council estate in bolton in tenant properties. This week has been an eye opener in 3 main areas....

1) they want their pound of flesh!

Got to rip out existing bog bath and basin then remove rad and rehang upside down and empty on the brackets for the plasterers.then chase out brickwork for shower.

Install bog and bath. Install basin but then remove and stack in corner for second fix.iso on everything and run new wastes.

Remove toilets in two other properties for plasterers then re install when they Have finished and re hang the rads and put the basins back in.
Then to two other properties to do second fix on showers and rehang kitchen rads.

Never done so much plumbing in a day..:)

2) the people! Good banter with other trades. Lots of practical jokes. Even the clerk of works said have a word with tenant. You have to shoulder the lounge door as its stiff.....one lad did and flew into the lounge and nearly knocked telly over:)

The tenants! Had one property cancelled cos she wouldn't muzzle the dog or clean the shyte off the floor she was telling anyone who would listen that she had 66 babies in her belly:eek:
Others with a bunch of babies by different dads keep shouting ey luv what's your name( obviously auditioning prospective fathers for baby number 6)

3) ineptitude of management! 16 leccy showers went missing this week. And that's the tip of the iceberg. God knows how they make money on the job with materials going missing hand over fist.

Only dog shyte on the floor???
wait till you get the ones with needles , fleas , rat poo or in some cases human faeces

not to mention the vietnamese cannabis farms

oh the joy of H/A

kay jay i am doing work for edinburgh council and i will tell you will see some sites and will have some great storys to tell after a year you will be able to write a book lol

My eyes are rolling round my head after 4 bottles of ale and a bottle of red wine!:)

The work is hard graft and im not used to it yet...the other plumber is done by2pm and off home.....im about 2 hours off the pace at the moment:(

Sounds awful tbh. Will never do council work again.

Tbh Kay, you're probably not as far off the pace as you think. The other guy will have just dropped his work standard after a while.

And im still aching...:mad:....
I'll be fine when i fall into a rhythm and can squeeze in a private job or two at the end of the day. Trouble is cos im currently the slower of the two of us i pick up the snagging from his jobs as well :banghead:

And im still aching...:mad:....
I'll be fine when i fall into a rhythm and can squeeze in a private job or two at the end of the day. Trouble is cos im currently the slower of the two of us i pick up the snagging from his jobs as well :banghead:

Have a word and tell him to do his own fracking snagging.

I once fitted a bbu in a council house and the a 50 year old fella had a pair of tights on a a pair of draws, I was an apprentice to

I also got told I had a nic e arse by 2 fellas who was under the influence of something

Thats council re-furbs for you. Wait till you progress onto those who have been kicked out of their council properties and have now gone into rentals, you'll pine for the good old days.

Wow KJ sounds like a different world to the one I work in. Very funny! I wouldn't mind doing it for a change of scene. I'm the other end of the market and it can be a royal pain in the backside at times! Think I would have culture shock dealing with that day in day out!

Is it a young mans game doing these crash and bang installs? Sounds pretty exhausting mate.

it is exhausting danny! and yes it does seem to be a young mans game, i certainly wished i was younger at the back end of last week....

apparently there is another contract we can jump on after this one finishes in three months, thank god for alcohol:smile5::smile5:

after a couple of weeks it will become a normal days work tbh. I do simular jobs about 60% of the time and im not very fast really.

on these sorts of jobs you need a thick skin, get used to J Kyle echo off the tv and will have to cut some corners compared to what you would do on private work.

if the jobs organised then you will be fine, if not then develope the attitude that its not your problem as is others snagging and dont take the stress home. The worse thing you can do on these jobs is become the "dependable one" of the team as this will mean you will always be last home and covering others problems. Once your up to speed refuse to cover others not being on site atleast a few times to avoid being walked over.

Back