Fisrt of all......Hello :) (now a heating question) | The Welcome Wagon :) | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter iain_sherriff
  • Start date
  • Replies 0
  • Views 628

Discuss Fisrt of all......Hello :) (now a heating question) in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iain_sherriff

So we have a 1890 brick built 3 bed semi cottage in Worcestershire.
At present we have an oil fired Watson (like AGA) cooker which also does central heating and hot water. System is vented with imersion/storage tank. 6 radiators + towel rail.
The Watson does the job easily BUT is sooooooooooo expensive to run!
Efficiency is not great either with the lack of control over cooking while heating and the other way around. (oil spend is around £1700 a year).

I have 4 years to retirment and wont be able to afford this once I dont earn.
We have no mains gas.

The Watson will need replaacing at some stage before retirement anyway.
Capital is limited.

So what to do?

I know I need to reinsulate the loft as a starting point.

What I am struggling with is deciding what to do with the cooking/heating system.
Wife wants to stick with a range type cooker so it seems to me that putting in an electric system boiler will be best.
What I cant work out is wether to go for an electric or oil range.
(possibly wether I could just remove the water heating side of the Watson and refurb the remaining cooking bits ? )

What suggestions od you people have......

thanks in advance.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks, it looks like the main heat exchanger...
Replies
Views
OK, but from the boiler it should be Vent then...
Replies
Views
Np Simon. Hoping to get the boiler engineer...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ok thank you Chuck, yes it does a bit 😆 That's...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Back