Fiting a Hot water cylinder with gravity coil | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Fiting a Hot water cylinder with gravity coil in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

gassafe

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
After a mix up at the merchants I have been left with a regular 36x18 copper cylinder, but the one I was after one suitable for a gravity fed coil!

The manufacterer said it might work, as the coil does fall thoughout the coil ( which i can see thru the immersion hole ), but I just wondered what the chances were, has anyone ever fitted a regular one before on a gravity circuit & had no problems??

I cant see why it would not work, obviously a gravity specific coil would be better but if i get no air locks on fill up maybe it will work, the vent comes off near airing cupboard tee, would an additional air vent help also?

Or am I just worrying too much, and plumbers just fir the modern equivalent with no worrys!?

Thanks for any advise or input!

I fitted a plumbcenter standard cylinder on a gravity circuit. There was a label on it saying only suitable for pumped, but the bloke who one of the counterstaff phoned swore blind it would work. I told him that if it didn't he was paying. It worked.

thanks for that, it has made me feel slightly more optimistic!

Im hoping it will work okay, if not im working satarday changing it! I will update to let peeps know... just incase other people get this problem one day

its likely to have less flow rate through the coil and gravity coiled cylinders tend to be designed for higher temps/ with thicker copper walls (grade 1).

will the warrantee be effected?

its likely to have less flow rate through the coil and gravity coiled cylinders tend to be designed for higher temps/ with thicker copper walls (grade 1).

will the warrantee be effected?

That's a very good point AW, never even considered that when I installed it.

The coil will have to be rising to the top or at the very worst, be dead level in places. An extra vent will do no good.

Just a reminder of an old post, the replacement of a hot water cylinder (controlled service) under Part L requires that the system be up graded were ever possible to a fully pumped one.
More & more of the modern cylinders have a double coil heat exchanger to get the required surface areas to achieve the 30min recovery, these of course are very unlikely to work on a gravity system.

ive done it myself and it worked if the boiler is a floor below the cylinder it should be ok if its a borderline system anyway with the cylinder on top of the boiler maybe not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Im 99% sure its not the pump sound. just...
Replies
Views
Thanks Oz, yeah I have bought solar compatible...
Replies
Views
200% won’t be the reason the cylinder isn’t...
Replies
Views
Back