Fitting a new radiator | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Fitting a new radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calling all friendly plumbers! I've been following some youtube videos and have successfully removed the old radiator from my bathroom (see picture). I have gas central heating in my home. I'm now taking time over thinking of what to do next and would appreciate some advice.

I'm thinking of installing a heated towel rail in its place. Can I reuse the existing valves? I enclose a picture of the valve. If not, do I just need to buy a special type of valve for the new type of radiator? Secondly, if I have to go for a replacement valve is it just a case of fitting to the existing copper pipe or are there other considerations? And finally, any tips when choosing the heated towel rail?

And just to pre-empt - I know lots of people say you should just get someone in to do this but as well as not having the money at the moment until my work settles, I'm also keen to learn so would appreciate if you could bare this in mind :).

Many thanks in advance,
Daisy

Attachments

• IMG_20150416_073818130.jpg
    IMG_20150416_073818130.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20160902_140705304.jpg
    IMG_20160902_140705304.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 34
What might make your search for a towel rail easier is knowing that the majority of designs allow you to add an after-market electric heating element. So you can use an ordinary "wet" towel rail and add an element. It is usually called a dual fuel system when you use one of these - https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk...n=googlebase&gclid=CIvRvJDv8M4CFRVuGwodJ2sBng

You could reuse the valves but I would consider replacing them if they are more than a couple of years old. Yours may be OK but they look a bit sorry with the paint marks on them although it's purely cosmetic and you could scrape the paint off.

Hi and welcome to the forum

A few things to consider for you:
If you are changing to a ladder style towel radiator then the valves you have will not fit. You will most likely need something like this http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/chrome-straight-radiator-valve-15mm-2-pack/84816
The likelihood is also that the two copper tails coming up through the floor will not be the right width apart for a towel radiator so some pipework alterations will be likely.

FairPlay for having a go but you might need a pro to alter the pipework for you

Hi Riley, thanks for the welcome! Interesting you say about the valves - I thought from stigster's post that they would be compatible so I'm a bit confused! Or am I missing something?

The good news is the pipes beneath the copper are plastic and I can move quite freely. I'm also changing the flooring so I think the different width shouldn't be too much of a problem (fingers crossed) - and totally agree if I did have to change then that feels a job too far.

Sorry for any confusion I've caused with the valves. It depends upon the design of rad you choose but Riley is correct, if you choose a ladder style rail you may need straight valves (yours are 90 degree or "bent" valves). If you add an element that may change things again. I'd choose a towel rail you like that fits the space. It can be a dual fuel from the manufacturer or you could add the element as an after market item. Then you will know what valves to use.

Seeing as you are changing the flooring you can alter (or get a plumber to alter) the pipework to suit the towel rail you like.

Last edited:
Ahh that's really helpful thanks for clarrifying.

This is the radiator I'm thinking of getting: NoLinkingToThis/p/kudox-flat-bar-on-bar-towel-radiator-chrome-1100-x-500mm-476w-1624btu/60288

And looking at the pictures I now understand about the valve needing to be straight. Sorry Stigster but I'm still confused about the mentioning of an element. I'm connecting this to my gas central heating and not doing anything with electric, so assume this doesn't apply?

Can anyone direct me to a video or good guidance on how to change a valve? I'd really like to do this all myself if possible!

First things first do you know how to drain down your central heating system ?? Do you know what type of boiler you have?

I just re-read your post and I made the assumption that you were looking to go with something electric from the line "I'm thinking of installing a heated towel rail in its place." In my mind I made the leap to that being a heated rail by other means hence my info on the dual fuel elements for towel rails. I should have learned by now to not make assumption on limited knowledge.

As for changing the valve what you do depends on what type of system you have. Do you have sealed/pressurised system that is topped up from the mains with a filling loop or do you have a small tank in a loft or roof space (an open vented system).

That rail will be fine and you will need straight valves to fit it to pipes coming up from the floor like that.

I've got to go away from the computer for a while now so my replies might be a bit delayed. If you can answer with what type of system you have (sealed or open vented) then I can give instructions later on or another forum user might explain in the meantime. There's a lot of very helpful people around here.

One thing I will say, if you are in any doubt about your abilities or understanding of the process then please get someone in to do it as you will be turning the water back on at some point so you'll need to be confident and competent on this one. Please don't take this the wrong way, I say that to anyone who is DIY plumbing, it's just that we don't want to lead you into a disaster.

Thanks Stigster, I don't take offence at all! I've managed to plumb in a new hot and cold tap for my new bath so aware of the dangers and will only do the new radiator if I feel I understand sufficiently.

It's a closed system - I have a combi boiler with a tap that I can top up the pressure with.

No worries if your reply is delayed - I'm amazed how quickly both you and Riley replied. Just so grateful for your time!

Right, somewhere on your central heating system you will (should have) have a drain off cock (looks like this http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/drain-cock-type-a-heavy-pattern-15mm/99939) you attach a hose to this and drain down the system down a drain. Alternatively if you're feeling brave you can open up the two valves in your bathroom into a bucket until the water stops, you should then be able to remove the radiator valves. Be warned though there will still be water in the system so ensure the boiler is OFF to avoid any nasty surprises.

In terms of removing the old nuts on the pipe I always use an olive puller or cutter (http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/monument-tools-olive-puller-15mm-22mm/88681?_requestid=404168) which will leave you pipework to then add your new valves. When you tighten them up use a bit of paste on the olive to aid the tightening process. I would then refill the pressure at the boiler so you can check your valves are water tight. Also useful so other people can then use hot water with pressure back in the system

Last edited:
And pleasure. Happy to help. Would appear me and Stigster are the first ones finished for the day

Fab thanks Riley. I'm going to digest and have a think before taking the plunge. Much appreciated

Fab thanks Riley. I'm going to digest and have a think before taking the plunge. Much appreciated

Just to reiterate Riley's point about refilling the system. Once drained you will have no access to hot water until system is refilled and pressurised as boiler will not work.

Why not sit down and bullet point process and post on here then we can see if you have got it sussed and away you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Correct that’s for expansion both should be...
Replies
Views
Need a heating engineer in Central London I...
Replies
Views
Size of bathroom 230cm x 210cm Height 230cm...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You won’t remove it easily looks like an...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi everyone, I have an Eastbrook Hurley towel...
Replies
Views
Back