Fitting a shower pump- Where to pick up supply? | Showers and Wetrooms Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Fitting a shower pump- Where to pick up supply? in the Showers and Wetrooms Advice area at Plumbers Forums

dan_the_plumber

Gas Engineer
Hello all

I'm looking for some help as to how to go about fitting a shower pump.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing but never actually done it.

I'm a little concerned about the pipe runs. I have a plan but not sure if it'll work or not.

I thought I could tee into the vent pipe off the 450mm off set hot water draw off the top of the cylinder.

Run that up to and across the attic.

The cold will then have it's own dedicated feed from the storage cistern using a tank connector prob 22mm reduced to 15mm.

Question is.......Will this work?

Also.....Is there an easier way to do it?

I wondered about teeing into the vent pipe up in the attic, but will the water be hot enough?

Also if the cold water supply is indirect (Fed from the CWSC) can I just tee into the supply pipe to domestic cold?

Whereever they come from they will go into a double impeller pump before dropping down into the bathroom to a thermostatic mixer shower

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks....Dan

for a pumped hot water you will need a dedicated take of point from the cylinder,
is the cold feed tank of sufficient size?
taking the pipes back up then down to the shower will cause problems with air locks

Upvote 0
Hey Simon.

Yeah I thought i might have to flange the cylinder.

Although i know that for a non-boosted normal supply you can use the the vent pipe near the draw off so wasn't 100%- Thanks

I've got to get hot water supply from airing cupboard in back bedroom to bathroom down the landing.

How else do i do it then? Under floor boards?

Can't I just tee into hot and cold for the bath and run up wall?

Thanks a lot....Dan

Upvote 0
put shower pump in the cupboard next to the hot tank then pump from there. its a pump so it has to push water not pull it along
you will get endless cavitation if you put the pump a long way from the hot water cylinder especially if you go up then down.
also fit a surrey flange for your hot water take off.

Upvote 0
put shower pump in the cupboard next to the hot tank then pump from there. its a pump so it has to push water not pull it along
you will get endless cavitation if you put the pump a long way from the hot water cylinder especially if you go up then down.
also fit a surrey flange for your hot water take off.

Ok thats great thanks.

So if i bring the cold down from the attic and hot off tank

throught the double impeller

then what under the floorboards and up inside a chase in the wall?

Upvote 0
I have got a 3 bar stuart turner, in the airing cupboard, hot feed is off the cylinder via a flange (one out of the top, I can never remember what its called) then a dedicated 22mm feed from a 50 gallon tank with a 3/4 ball valve (we can empty the tank in a short time!) the water is then pumped up into the loft via two 22mm feeds then reduced down to 2 15mm feeds for 2 mira showers. Works lovely jubbly.

Its a surrey flange, not a warick one or the cheap essex one.... not that everything from essex is cheap... if you thought that you can take my misses out for a bottle of lambrini:yes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
yes that will work.
22 from tank and hot to pump then
if youre only supplying one shower 15 should be ok if not 22 to tee for two showers then 15

personally i would do the whole run from pump to shower with one length of plastic. no fittings and no elbows. if its more than 3m get 6m lengths or a 25m roll. but there's plenty who'll disagree with that !!

get your clipping distances correct.

Upvote 0
I have got a 3 bar stuart turner, in the airing cupboard, hot feed is off the cylinder via a flange (one out of the top, I can never remember what its called) then a dedicated 22mm feed from a 50 gallon tank with a 3/4 ball valve (we can empty the tank in a short time!) the water is then pumped up into the loft via two 22mm feeds then reduced down to 2 15mm feeds for 2 mira showers. Works lovely jubbly.

Its a surrey flange, not a warick one or the cheap essex one.... not that everything from essex is cheap... if you thought that you can take my misses out for a bottle of lambrini:yes:

Yep Thats brilliant!!!! Thanks :)

I think i worked it out at about 4.30 this morn that once the water supply (hot & cold) reaches the pump under gravity

It can then go back up over the attic because it's pumped.....Ureka!!! lol

On a slightly seperatre note I was in B&Q today looking at shower pumps.

they start at 1.5 bar pumps which recon thats enough pressure for one shower (which i'm doing)

The next one up provides 2.5 bar which it recons is for 2 showers.

But for the set up i'll be installing it'll need to pump up over the attic.....Will 1.5 bar be enough?????????????????/

Thanks all much appreciated

Dan :)

Upvote 0
Also if the flow pipes from the pump run up and across the attic before dropping down into the bathroom

Will turning shower on oporate the flow switch in the pump?

Wouldn't it just empty the section of pipe from the shower up to the attic? Or would it create a siphon effect?

Cheers....Dan

Upvote 0
Just a question you seem to be asking a lot of basic shower related questions for a " plumber " who is shopping for shower pumps in b&q go to a merchants and buy a good quailty one you wont be replacing in 2 years

Upvote 0
Just a question you seem to be asking a lot of basic shower related questions for a " plumber " who is shopping for shower pumps in b&q go to a merchants and buy a good quailty one you wont be replacing in 2 years

Well actually i was in B&Q looking at some other stuff and was only looking at shower pumps out of interest.

Also I am actually a qualified plumber (NVQ level 2) I've just never fitted a shower pump before.

Anyway I thought that's the whole point of this forum, to be able to ask questions and swap ideas.

However if you've got something on your mind you'd like to share then please go right ahead

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I did edit my post and suggest rad tail...
Replies
Views
  • Question
HI Basher UPDATE ; I found a seal kit!! as...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi SI......is the shower on the same floor as...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yup and undersized flow/returns/heat emitters...
Replies
Views
Back