fitting gas hobs | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss fitting gas hobs in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

GQuigley67

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
what do you do when you go to customers house to fit hob and notice the joiners have not read the MIs and fitted their kitchen within the minimum clearance allowances ??

That depends how much the distances have been neglected,if way out and say extractor fan or cupboard only 400mm from top of hob,yes have had it,would not fit new hob and try to isolate existing one

If clearances just slightly out,I fit new hob ,leave isolated and write on invoice appliance tested operation correct however left isolated at gas isolation valve and that should not be used until clearances corrected,show customer isolation valve operation and leave them to there own divices
Whats ''clearances slightly out''mean you my say,and that is part of the real world evaluation
imho

would you feel happy installing it against regs tho? as puddle says cover yourself and make this aware on your sheet.

its not to MI and should not be installed, if you install it then remove the cupboard/s and write on gas cert no cupboards or removed cupboards above hob at time of installation to cover yourself.

manufacters say 450mm and they have them at 420-430mm
It's not far off, but still to the letter of the law it would be incorrect for you to fit an appliance that cannot meet the MI's minimum clearances.
Did you try talking to the Manufacturer? As it is not far off they may provide dispensation to fit to they clearances. You would then be covered. Get it in writing/email and leave a copy with appliance paperwork if you get go ahead.

I will be back on that job at some point, i have a copy of unsafe situation handbook now so will use that to show customer, wether or not the joiners will come back to move the cupboards up is another thing lol

Ive had this a few times now, havnt been GSR for long (5 months or so) so walk unless its to the number or exceeds MI's. Thats just what I do, but appreciate that other, maybe more experienced engineers do things differently

I don't fit them unless the clearances are correct. Last thing you need is a phone call 6 months down the line saying that you owe them a new kitchen because the cabinets are all scorched.

went to a job yesterday to fit a hob supply ready for a new kitchen, the customer had been told by his builder to ask me to install the supply with a micro point so he can install the gas hob himself on a cooker hose when he fits the kitchen. :(

customer took some convincing his builder is an idiot. LOL

with regards to clearances we can not fit if there not to mi,s we need to look at whats the worst that could happen if the kitchen caught on fire not only would we not be covered by our pi insurance ,the customers insurance would not pay out,we would get prosecuted under the guisr and probably sued

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Experience tells me 10mm won't be enough but...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Thank you for keeping me safe. If it is the...
Replies
Views
Only advise I can suggest is to contact the...
Replies
Views
What about a metal blanking plate?
Replies
Views
Back