Fitting new toilet cistern | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Fitting new toilet cistern in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketmanbkk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Hi Friends

Can you advise me please?

Going to fit a new cistern tomorrow at a house where the old has cracked and flooded.

I have purchased the new and it comes with opella siphon and fluid master inlet valve etc.

My question is about the flush pipe as it is not close coupled.

The opella siphon thread comes out of the cistern bottom and then has a back nut fitted, the flush pipe then has a rubber washer fitted on it and is then screwed to the siphon bottom by compression, I think that's all OK, there is another rubber washer in the pack that I assume gets fitted to the bottom of the flush pipe and fits into the toilet?

Is that correct? I've never fitted or even seen on of these fitted before.
Also, does anyone support the cistern with brackets or any other way (obvoulsy screw to wall)?

I am OK with the rest of toilets etc but this is new to me.

Any advice or comments appreciated.

Thanks as always.

Rocket.

I think the rubber I am asking about is a fin connector? And if this is it, it looks as though it has fins, how does it fit?

Thanks

Yeah, as you have said. White, or clear cone washer into back of the pan. Nut and black washer into the bottom of the cistern. I find sometimes a bit of silicon spray helps the cone washer go in to the pan easier.
You can support cistern, with l brackets underneath. Never trusted it to be safe with just the two screws

Linky

Last edited:
One washer goes at the bottom of the syphon on the water side of the cistern, so you have a washer between the syphon and the cistern, your right about the other washer.

If it is a plastic cistern then a lot of the time it screw directly on to the wall, ensure its got good fixings (obviously)

ive been supplied with a black rubber washer with 'fins'.
I am taking it that this rubber goes into the toilet and the flush pipe inserts into this to make a seal. Are they standard sizes?

Thanks for getting back so fast.

Yes and no, I normally carry a couple of different sorts, they are like donut washers..... all blasted different, some you can get to fit others, well....... its plumbing!!!!!

There are some that fit inside the flow pipe on the toilet and others that fit over it....

OK, cheers, the toilet will have one in at present say I may be able to use that one, see how it goes, all experience.

OK, cheers, the toilet will have one in at present say I may be able to use that one, see how it goes, all experience.

Like anything if it drips then needs a new one, if you haven't got one go and get one.... thats all part of the fun............:furious3:

The clear flush cones are the best to use there a bit more supple than the white ones that are quite rigid. The last few I've fitted have come with the black flush cones.
if it does leak put a bead of silicone around the fins of the cone and push it into position.

Use the clear plastic version and put a ring of plumbers mate round the fins and push it fully home. The plumbers mate will ensure it doesn't pop back out and it will never leak.

Use the clear plastic version and put a ring of plumbers mate round the fins and push it fully home. The plumbers mate will ensure it doesn't pop back out and it will never leak.

but avoid the clear ones from wickes like the plague!!

if it does leak put a bead of silicone around the fins of the cone and push it into position.

Oh Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase nooooooooooooooooooooo this site is supposed to encourage professional work, think of those coming in after you!

Don't like the clear ones with fins as they seem to pop out again.

Don't use plumbers mait (plumbers menace) PLEASE!!! Nasty horrible stuff and again the site is supposed to encourage professional work, which plumbers mait certainly isn't. Personally I'd like to see the stuff banned. Not to mention it doesn't set and its worse than chewing gum. I've seen fingermarks of it smeared all over the place and ground into carpet.

Use the white rubber bung type as they are the most reliable. TIP - put in boiling water to soften before pushing into the back of the WC

Some WCs have a connector that goes over a spigot rather than a bung. In the same way, place in boiling water so you can stretch it over the back of the spigot.

Last edited:
And, oh yes........ cut the flush pipe at the WC end so that it only just goes past the bung or it will interfere with the flow of water round the WC rim, and at the other end not too long in interfere with the syphon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Good, keep a note of his number!
Replies
Views
Another great option. Thanks very much. I’ll...
Replies
Views
N
Any pictures of the leaking bit ?
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks for the reply. I didn’t get a photo...
Replies
Views
Will be the fill valve but sometimes it’s...
Replies
Views
Back