Fitting of external oil boiler correctly | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Fitting of external oil boiler correctly in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hay0287

We have had a Worcester external oil boiler fitted & the guy hasn't put sleeves on the water & central heating pipes coming out of the house wall & into the boiler. Is this dangerous in any way?

Any pics?

It's not difficult as they come with a 4" sleeve to use. Normally I can use the sleeve, insulate the pipes and get a conduit through for the electrics. If the pipework has to be offset then I use 4" soil pipe and elbows to cover it all in.

The important thing will be exposure to the cold and potential for freezing. Any insulation on the pipes?

I hate to say this, but I have seen a pipe wear away with expansion and contraction where it wasnt protected, is it just cemented in?

Any pics?

It's not difficult as they come with a 4" sleeve to use. Normally I can use the sleeve, insulate the pipes and get a conduit through for the electrics. If the pipework has to be offset then I use 4" soil pipe and elbows to cover it all in.

The important thing will be exposure to the cold and potential for freezing. Any insulation on the pipes?

Thank you for replying so quickly! He said he didn't have a core drill big enough to allow for fitting sleeves on the pipes too. My main concern is whether this makes them unsafe in anyway or a hazard to our property. From what he's said now, it would be a big job to remove the kitchen cupboards,re drill holes etc to add sleeves.

Was it commissioned and have you received the building control notification?

Thanks for your reply! I don't think it is cemented in. It was drilled through with a core drill but he didn't have enough room to put sleeves on as well.

No it wasn't, the guy who fitted it couldn't commission it, I'm after getting it done now. Would it get commission without the sleeves?

Can I ask if you knew this before the boiler was installed?

If the pipes haven't been sleeved it doesn't sound good for the rest of the installation.

Have you paid him? What if other issues that need correcting arise when it's commissioned. Is he coming back to fix?

Another reason why those without oil tickets shouldnt touch oil installs omho

Well it's been working fine & I had it serviced by someone else recently (hence how I knew it had no sleeves) & it was fine.

So it's at least 12 months old then and still not commissioned.

Do you have house insurance? Did you fit a fire valve?

Lol says D I Y all over this thread. The OP has installed this and has missed many of points including the most serious and dangerous point of all about not sleeving the pipes which go outside.

If i was you i would RIP those pipes out ASAP and get them sleeved!! Very dangerous its not sleeved

If it hasn't been commisioned you won't get any warranty from worcester they won't touch it if you get a problem with it but I think too much time has elapsed from the install to get a warranty now anyway

I hate to add further to the witch hunt, but a commissioning engineer will also ensure its set up correctly to be most efficient and safe. Any guarantee will be void without commission.
Personally I commission for a few guys I know and trust, but you could be hard pressed to find someone to commission another guys work, especially if done poorly.
If there is enough of a gap around the pipes now, it might be possible to slip in something around the pipes, not sure what though.
I tend to put a core through big enough for pipe and insulation - I bet he's not sleeved the oil line either AND stuck the fire valve through the same hole (with loads of compression joints...)

sigh....

As above, please let us have some pictures, we may be able to suggest a remedy or at least a reasonable method of redress.

Whereabouts are you?

Well it's been working fine & I had it serviced by someone else recently (hence how I knew it had no sleeves) & it was fine.
Its been serviced so if the servicing engineer is any good the syatem would now have been setup correctly and anything wrong with the installation would have been pointed out. seems loke its only the sleeving that has been pointed out.

I can't help wondering if this was the cheapest quote.

In my opinion - yes it should be sleeved - it's not the end of the world. It might start leaking one day and it will be a right pain to correct but frequently I come across pipes through walls that are years old and not sleeved and they're perfectly okay.

If you move before the problems happen then there's not much to worry about.

Granted this view point is not very professional but most of us live in the real world and it's not the sort of thing I look out for when inspecting a boiler. (I'm now waiting for a flaming!!)

Basic rules of plumbing

I agree - but it took another plumber to tell me this. I wasn't told it when learning my oftec (and I think I should have been) nor was I told on my course (as far as I'm aware.)

He biggest problem may be the pipes freezing and bursting if not lagged and if plastic pipe has been used there's no protection from damage. I got called to one once where rodents had chewed the pipe and the water spraying everywhere got in the electrics and did loads of damage

I can't help wondering if this was the cheapest quote.

In my opinion - yes it should be sleeved - it's not the end of the world. It might start leaking one day and it will be a right pain to correct but frequently I come across pipes through walls that are years old and not sleeved and they're perfectly okay.

If you move before the problems happen then there's not much to worry about.

Granted this view point is not very professional but most of us live in the real world and it's not the sort of thing I look out for when inspecting a boiler. (I'm now waiting for a flaming!!)

If the pipes are only for water and have been insulated the insulation can act as a sleeve (of sorts).

If the oil line comes through the same opening then at least have that sleeved.

Like dontknowitall I live in the real world and only having seen it would I make any comment as to whether it's OK or not, you may lose some heat, friction & movement may cause the pipes to leak, on the other hand you may be looking at in five years (fitting a new Grant boiler) wondering what all the fuss was about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Yes everything worked fine before. Is there a...
Replies
Views
External hounsfield heat only. If you really...
Replies
Views
J
Second shout for moving it.
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
hi, no current pipework in concrete i believe...
Replies
Views
Back