Fitting shower base help | Showers and Wetrooms Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Fitting shower base help in the Showers and Wetrooms Advice area at Plumbers Forums

L

Leslie Hill

I’m about to install a shower base onto a wooden platform that sits about 4 inches high so as to allow the trap to sit under.

The instructions calls for 8mm of soft cement to be laid for the base to go onto.

I’m concerned on a number of issues including:-

The U space cavity the shower base is going into is only 1180 in width. I’ve had to remove the lower tiles so that a 1200 shower base can slot in. I plan to lower the base into position and the tile filer and sealant to make water tight.

The wooden base is all fitted and I’ve used wicked outdoor ply wood. The base is very strong and I can jump up and down on it no issues.

The instructions call for a 5 to 1 cement mix of 8mm to be laid on the wooden platform and the shower base to go on that.

It doesn’t tell me if the base meds to be lowered onto the wet mix or if I wait for that to dry.

I’m concerned the cement will cause the wood to swell due to moisture from the wet cement.

Lowering the tray onto wet cement will also be an issue because it’s hard to get the base into position due to it having to be slotted in at and angle before finding it’s true level.

Help

You can use grab glue but you won’t have any warranty on the tray

Upvote 0
Prime/seal the ply first with acrylic tile primer, or SBR.
Yes, you bed the tray whilst the mortar is wet.
Yes, it can be tricky to do, just keep calm and wriggle the tray down until it’s level. Then leave it alone to set.
Don’t worry, it’s be done before several times!

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Have you got any photos to share of your...
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
If it was on a job of mine I would cut it out...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You could use these below. It will depend how...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hmm. We're talking about British Standards...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Sorry SBR is a primer sealer , SLC is self...
Replies
Views
Back