Fitting smart thermostat (Drayton Wiser) | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Fitting smart thermostat (Drayton Wiser) in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Current spec as follows:
  • Conventional boiler (Vaillant Ecotec) / open vented
  • Drayton MA1 motorised valve actuator
  • Honeywell cylinder stat
  • Potterton EP2 programmer
  • Danfoss Randall TP7001 room stat

On order:
- Drayton Wiser Heating & HW smart thermostat (Kit 2)

Seeing as the Drayton Wiser kits are a bit of a bargain on Amazon today and I had been after a smart thermostat for some time, I decided to take the plunge. What I'm wondering is whether I simple DIY-er like me has a good chance of fitting the thing, or whether to get a professional in to do the job, which has the bonus of extending the warranty to 5 years (beat that, Hive Home).

From what I've read, the Wiser system is relatively straightfoward to fit as these things go, but anyone who is familiar with the Potterton EP2 (or older EP200x range) programmers will know that they're a bit special as they effectively act as a wiring station with a right old collection of wires back there, and I don't fancy tangling with that unless I can be sure I know what I'm doing.

So I am inclined to cough up and get someone in who knows what they're doing (anyone happy to pitch what they reckon a reasonable installation cost would be?) - but I thought I'd ask on here first, just in case anyone has done this swap and can tell me it's a piece of cake. 😁

Personally haven’t fitted any, however I’d opt for the extended warranty offered by professional installation. What I can tell you is, electricity is dangerous and with it being heating, could be wired up using different coloured wires- colours mean nothing in heating wiring.

Similar plumbing topics

It's up to you how you wish to proceed but...
Replies
Views
H
What system do you have? Can you post a photo...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
P
Hi, this was a brilliantly explained post...
Replies
Views
Everything working fine on PP mode - thanks...
Replies
Views
Just happened to be rummaging around on the...
Replies
Views
Back