Fitting Sottinni wc pan, part of porcelain obstructs soil pipe...can I cut away? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Fitting Sottinni wc pan, part of porcelain obstructs soil pipe...can I cut away? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

burnig

I have a Sottinni wc to fit, the soil pipe is in the floor, trouble is the pan has a porcelain 'strut' linked to both sides of the underside of the toilet, this sits ontop of the soil outlet when the toilet is back to the wall. I have been advised that you can cut this strut out using a diamond tipped saw blade in an angle grinder...anyone ever done this? Sottinni technical are non-commital, they say their pans are European standard design and should fit a soil pipe in the floor, but this cross member (about 1" tall by 8" wide) is 4" from the back of the toilet which is the centre of the soil pipe???

I've cut this kind of strut out of a few pans with no problems, it will probably invalidate the warranty but thats your choice i'm afraid.

sounds like its a back-to-the-wall pan,
ie. back fit waste and not suitable for floor pipe.
then its the wrong pan for the application.
the amount of times i turn up to fit these that customers suply and are incompatible is a joke.
the brace is there for a reason, because it is craply made and will break.
you could remove it but i bet you get a sweat-on praying it dosn't shatter during or after.

deed is done, cut ok, fitted...Sottinni say it can be used with soil pipe in the floor as most of these are sold in Europe and the majority of these are through the floor and not through the wall, but I agree they should not be sold as anything other than back to the wall with waste out of the wall, but there is no warning, no literature to state otherwise...
thanks for the replies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Providing there is a finned seal and the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Thank you so much, that's very helpful!
Replies
Views
You can cut the extension down to what ever...
Replies
Views
Don’t worry about a slight roughness inside...
Replies
Views
"strap wrench" or "boa" might help
Replies
Views
Back