Fixed a toilet - now got a question! | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Fixed a toilet - now got a question! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketmanbkk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Friends,

Just successfully changed a toilet siphon with no leaks.

Had a moment when the new close couple kit wasnt the same size as the old one and wouldn't fit, also the donut washer was a lot bigger and thinner.

Had no choice but to use the old ones.

Anyway, the question is where do you buy these different size kits? I went into plumb centre just now and they just said they had one size, the size i purchased!

Any thoughts about this?

Thanks

Rocket

Looking on the internet there are a few different kinds, how, if possible do you tell which one it is other then taking the crappa apart?

There's 2 different kinds, one is a thick rubber donut and the other is a thinner sponge type.
I can't remember which way round it is but toolstation do one and plumbfix do the other, I keep stock of both but generally use the rubber one if I can, I don't trust the thinner ones.

Cheers JC. Just looking on the internet now, the toilet I fixed was an Ideal standars and can see that the fixing kit i purchased was incorrect as you can buy an ideal standard one!

Lesson learned. I'll buy a couple of each for future.

Thanks again.

The ideal std ones were a large rubber ring type seal. You need the same type.
Twyfords and a couple of others had the foammy ring type. These can't be reused as they flatten down.
The conical shaped rubber one fits some but can't compress enough on others.
You learn by looking at it what will do and carry a couple of different ones.

Cheers Tamz, going to buy a couple of each for future.

Learning slowly, not going to rush things.

I don't want to disagree with JC here or anyone but there are quite a few different types on the market, as Tamz said Ideal big round ones, there are two different conical types and then the sponge sort, there is also an hexagonal rubber one.

I go into my local merchants and buy half a dozen different ones However, the ones I tend to use is the larger rubber conical ones, if I get a blasted leak then out comes CT1 or plumbers gold.

I know its not ideal but if the cistern isn't sitting just right it'll leak, 9 out of 10 are fine but then aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh.

I repair a lot of toilets can you tell........

Cheers, this one leaked until I tightened the wing nuts as much as I could.

no leak when I left, sat there for 10 mins tidying up and checking, flushed toilet about 10 times!

I did a toilet last week, no leaks had a coffee with my customer, had a chat got paid, looked again, thing dripped....................

Re the original post and answer from plumb awkward and expensive, this is where independent plumbing merchants are much more helpful, in my experience.

Good points made. You do come across the odd bog that won't be sealed properly with the two most common types, but you'll be fine with one or the other for most jobs. If you can get better/cheaper from your local merchants then fill yer boots.
My only decent local merchant closed down at Christmas and I must have replaced 20+ donuts since then and have managed each one without any fuss. Kay-Jay mentioned a merchants on the other side of town from me, I still need to go have a butchers there...

Silicone a large ideal donut to your dash to stop your mug of tea sliding around while driving and it's always there should you need it for a job

Silicone a large ideal donut to your dash to stop your mug of tea sliding around while driving and it's always there should you need it for a job

I usually get a brew from toolstation when I'm there and then can't drive off for 5 minutes while it cools enough to drink it. Could do with one of these home-made cup holders as my real cup holder is full of all sorts of crap :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

B
Sometimes you have to think outside the box...
Replies
Views
Okay I’ll give it a try, thanks for your replies.
Replies
Views
The float regulates how much water flushes out...
Replies
Views
A
Thank you so much. I will suggest more -...
Replies
Views
Whoops, yes, well spotted. Getting my systems...
Replies
Views
Back