Fixed price repairs a good idea or not | Air Sourced Heat Pumps | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Fixed price repairs a good idea or not in the Air Sourced Heat Pumps area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 32524

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Thinking of doing fixed price repairs. Does anyone else do this or work for a company that does. What is the charge and how often do you get stung?

Thank you for the help.

Duncan

Recipe for disaster in IMHO, how often have you gone to a simple fix and it's escalated into a bigger/ longer job than you anticipated. If you set your cost your going to be out of pocket very soon .

ok. So it seems like a bad idea by most? I agree plenty jobs have turned out to be ALOT longer than thought. However, I have been to plenty that are a quick easy fix. Meaning I will loose money on some jobs on parts alone, break even on others and make good off some. Just trying to weigh up if it is more of the latter or the first. Do not mind turning money over on a few jobs keeps fuel, insurance etc covered.

What is a fair price for a what ever it takes to fix?

Very risky, some will be past repair. Also think you'd have to be a big concern to pull it off.

if your having to ask, you cant afford to do it!!

Meaning it is too much of a risk? Or..?
Personally, I strongly believe that people want to know exactly how much it is going to cost, no matter what, to fix their boiler. As you can never tell how long a job might take, as discussed, I understand that some jobs get carried away, but not all. If I thought every job was "one of those ones" I would do no business, as I would be too scared to leave the house.

unless you have a few million in the bank to back you up no small business can afford fixed price for all repairs. you just quote\estimate each one as it comes along. take a look at Pimlico pluming a rather successful company, they dont offer fixed price repairs, they quote each one as required. take a lead from those doing well in the trade, BG is a different kettle of fish, they buy in bulk and parts costs are miniscule compared to what you can achieve.

Baxi charge around £250 and guarantee the boiler for a year. That's the sort of money you'd need to be at IMHO. People just aren't going to take them up on that unless they think its a big job. And customers always think its a five minute job.

Very risky, some will be past repair. Also think you'd have to be a big concern to pull it off.

Yes, some will be fecked. Still get face to face with a potential customer. Some will be beyond economic repair, but I am prepaired to loose money on some, but there are loads of repairs that can be done with very cheap parts i.e thermistor jobs, APS and many other reasonably prices parts. Some can even be done with no parts i.e the famous blocked venturi on a vokera.

go on you have the answer you want in your head so why keep asking on here, give it a go and let us know how it goes, but you try getting £250 out of some brick****house of a bloke for 5 mins work, send photos of what you look like

i jsut charge £100 + parts. £200 + parts. £300.......

any how, nothing stopping you walking away from one if its a loss otherwise charge in stages of defective parts?
in a good world it would be ideal, but we dont mention those boilers here, haha

i cant make boiler repairs pay at all better of installing where the money rolls in canny be ursed with ordering parts for some crappy worcester
boiler repairs on hourly rate for h/a where i can toss it off all day long for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

J
  • Question
To be fair some places in London have an...
Replies
Views
J
  • Question
They sound extremely suspect, I realise it's...
Replies
Views
J
Replies
Views
  • Question
Anyone know of a repair service for Axpert...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hey, forum friends! 👋 Excited to introduce...
Replies
Views
Back