Fixing a leak on a combi boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Fixing a leak on a combi boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willing2learn

Hi, quick question. Are non-gas safe registered plumbers allowed to fix leaks on boilers eg heat exchanger as long as the gas train isn't broken?

Thanks in advance :)

I contacted CIPHE and Gas Safe Register last week regarding issues like this.Their answers were as clear as mud.Nobody would commit and both conflicted with each other.I'm none the wiser now.Surely these professional bodies look at forums etc.Maybe they would like to comment on here and put eveybody right!!!!How about it CIPHE and GSR?

Simple answer would be no, because as soon as you take the case off that boiler you are tampering with a GAS appliance.

I would suggest, unless your gas safe to leave well alone. To fix up the heat exchanger (unless you mean the plate heat exchanger) will no doubt involve removing the heat exchanger/burner cover. This is part of the gas train. What if the seal on the cover is split or damaged, what if the repair goes wrong and you find you need to remove other parts or if the **** really hit the fan and you damaged something else or the repair didnt work. If you are gas safe you will at least be able to leave the appliance safe with the relevant paperwork. What boiler are you looking to repair?

Hi, yes I did mean the plate heat exchanger. I'm yet to see the boiler. Customer phoned with a few other jobs and mentioned his boiler had a leak. All I know is that it's a combi. I think if it's not a leak that I can fix without taking cover off. I will advise they get an RGI in to be safe :)

taking a cover off the boiler isn't always illegal. depend's on how the boilers' combustion chamber is piped/vented up. depends which boiler, and what you have to remove to get to it. dont touch anything that is connected to gas train or any electrical control or safety elements

May be they are able to fix leaks on boilers but in my point of view don't take chance and call a gas safe registered engineers. Perhaps they cost more but troubleshooting solutions they offer are more reliable and long lasting. Whereas non gas safe registered engineers are not always trustworthy so its better to go for gas safe register plumber. Not only it cost more than non gas safe registered engineers but they offer more reliable services too.

when you take off the cover there maybe gas safe issues inside that you are unaware of if something should happen after you have been even though you didnt touch anything gas related you will be held responsible

unless you have the knowledge that the case does not form part of the combustion chamber/seal then leave alone.

IMHO the key word is "worked". You will have done work on a gas appliance. To do work on gas appliances in the course of business would require competence and GSR certification. To do work whilst not in the course of business would require competence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
It seems to be a case of having to watch and...
Replies
Views
Fits back on flue on top of boiler
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
T
Please advise me. I am a disabled pensioner. I...
  • TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
  • Boilers
  • Latest:
  • TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
Replies
Views
TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
T
Back