Fixing a leaking toilet | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Fixing a leaking toilet in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dharma

Firstly, Just to say that I'm a complete novice at this so I really appreciate any help that I can get.

A few months back, our push button toilet started leaking from the back under one of the nuts. I called a plumber in and he did his thing and the leaks stopped for a few months before it started again. So this time, I thought I'd try and sort the problem out myself!

Here's the picture of the toilet from the top.

86374876.jpg

The leak happens from the left nut (see the rust)
98329733.jpg

Initially I thought it was just the donut coupling ring that was damaged, so I replaced that. But the problem continued to happen. I took the cistern off and placed it on a bucket to see where the leak was coming from. It appeared to be leaking from the metal plate and then leaking into the wing nut.

I
74928528.jpg

What was interesting was that when I replaced the donut the first time, the leak didn't occur until I flushed. But there was nothing wrong with the donut itself. Therefore, I'm guessing that when the flush mechnism is moved anyway, a leak occured. (When I sat the cistern on a bucket, it was leaking without flushing).

Here's a picture of the bottom of the cistern with the coupling nut removed:
57754504.jpg

Theplastic coupling nut was sealed with some sort of sealent.

I was wondering, what is the best way to get the leak to stop please?

Thanks in advance!

Clean the toilet and the cistern and but a new close coupling kit a dash of lsx to hep hold the donut on the bottom of the cistern and place on and tighten evenly.

Thank you, I'll give that a shot.

Would the LSX sealer also work inside the cistern to seal the washer around the flush valve? Or would I need some other type of sealer for that? It's just the the leak happens constantly, therefore must be eascaping from the cistern itself?

Buy a new cistern fixing kit. Take the siphon off completely, clean off any residual sealant, allow to dry, put plenty of silicone sealant on the joint, assemble with the new fixing plate and tighten but don't overtighten. Reassemble the cistern onto the pan using the new bolts but don't let any water in for a day to allow the silicone to harden.

Check for cracks in the plastic flusher, sometimes a crack will only show when the nut is tightened up so have a really close look at it.

Hi again everyone...

I couldn't figure out where the leak was, so I decided to change the syphon, and the coupling kit.

I fixed it all up, sealed it with Fernox and it still leaked in exactly the same place.

At this point, I started to think that it might be a crack in the cistern. I sat it down on a bucket again. This time, I realised that there was a leak coming from inside inside the syphon. It was trickling from the pipe, around the 2" plastic nut, and then onto the doughnut it seems and finding it way through to the wing nuts under the toilet.

The leak doesn't seem to occur all the time though. It only happens every now n then. It seems like the doughnut washer is actually making the leak worst because its gives an avenue for the tricklling water to run onto the wing nuts.

Is the dounut always necessary? Would it worth trying to see if the leak still occurs without the doughnut?

Whenever I change the drop valve/syphon I insist on a new do nut washer and in your cas I would also insist on the replacing the metal plate as well.

Whenever I change the drop valve/syphon I insist on a new do nut washer and in your cas I would also insist on the replacing the metal plate as well.

Hi Winston,

I've replaced the metal plate, and the doughnut (twice, first time rubber, this time foam). This hasn't made any difference.

Like I said, it seems to be leaking from inside the syphon, around the plastic washer and then doughnut, and works its way over to the wing nut.

the leak is from,
a, the syphon bottom nut / or threaded spiggot.
b, the doe's nut.

first eliminate the syphon by bying a tube of silicon and smearing it all over the white plastic neatly, especially around pot to plastic and allow to dry.
second , ensure you have used the right doughnut as there are severall different sizes. they should fit snug to the plastic and overlap the pot hole by approx 50%.

pull the pan out and fit the cistern carefully tightening the wing nuts using hand preassure only.
then ease the pan and cistern back into situ untill the top of the cistern gently touches the wall. screw the cistern to wall followed by the pan without moving either.
20 minuites for a plumber 6 attempts if your not or it still leaks.!.
if you disturb the seating angle of the pan and cistern it will still keep leaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I would cut it to the right size and glue the...
Replies
Views
Hello! I was checking something in the toilet...
Replies
Views
A
If the toilet is blocking up gradually it...
Replies
Views
Hi, could you post a picture of the whole WC...
Replies
Views
Or raise the cistern
Replies
Views
Back