Fixing a WC onto floor w/ under floor heating | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Fixing a WC onto floor w/ under floor heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Looked at a gutted cloakroom to quote for installing toilet and basin.

At the time was just bare concrete floor. Soil pipe connection from previous toilet was roughly standard height (180 ish from floor).

I thought they were going to tile it.

Now he says they are having underfloor heating installed then vinyl on top.

Please excuse my total ignorance for the following questions. I've replaced loads of toilets but all have been either back onto existing solid or floorboard floor with occasionally allowing for a few mm here or there is changing the floor covering.

What I'm worried about is a) how to get a secure fixing when there are UFH pipes running underneath and b) whether i'm going to come back to find the soil pipe connection is now 50mm off the floor. Especially as it's a back to wall pan so harder to muck about with.

I don't want to sound like an idiot talking to customer so any info would be appreciated. The cloakroom is off the main hall so presumably if the finished floor surface was much different it would look weird. So maybe the existing floor will be chased out first?

Thanks

is it elec underfloor or wet ?

as the elec doesnt take much 10mm at most, and normally would run the under floor round the toilet (50mm space round)

What I'm worried about is a) how to get a secure fixing when there are UFH pipes running underneath and b) whether i'm going to come back to find the soil pipe connection is now 50mm off the floor. Especially as it's a back to wall pan so harder to muck about with. Thanks

20160111_152715.jpg

I`m finding more and more of this for back to the wall pans with UFH, often with no screws just No Nails holding the wood to the floor.

Last edited:
I'd just be telling them not to put underfloor heating under where the toilet will be sited, and that if you have to fix it down without being able to put fixings into the floor then they are going to have a wobbly bog at some point in the future.
The ball's in their court that way, if you end up having to comprimise - they have been fore warned. Also point it out in the invoice/reciept.

When I do bathroom with electric underfloor heating. I just mark out the floor where the anything will be or need to be fixed and the electrician just lays it around that. Just ask them for pictures with a tape measure in the shot measuring off a fixed point like a wall, before the screed goes down, so you can be 100% sure you are safe to drill. You can then also draw out in pencil where the underfloor heating is.

Last edited:
If you're not sure of the UFH location, unfortunately, you may have to resort to just siliconing the pan in place.
Not flash, but having to rip up tiles and do repairs, the customer will end up blaming you.
Probably end up taking the cost of the repairs off your bill.

Had a few discussions over the years regarding matters like this with builders and homeowners.
Won some lost some - but never end up pleasant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Max notch 1/8 the depth of the joist like any...
Replies
Views
Providing there is a finned seal and the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
What you have is standard new build practice...
Replies
Views
  • Question
First, ensure the exact position of the leak...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Back