Flame rectification - how does it actually work? | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Flame rectification - how does it actually work? in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

B

bennygas

I don't know about anyone else, but this has puzzled me for some time.

I understand roughly how i think it works in principle - i.e. applying a potential difference across a gap full of ions (i.e a flame) will allow a current to pass, and i follow how this may be employed to rectify AC into DC (so as to be distinct from flame conductance), and I follow as to how this could be measured to confirm the presence or not of a flame at a burner.

That said, that's just in theory, and there's no saying the theory i have in mind is right - and the more I think about it the more confused i get. Does anyone on here know how it works. what's the process? where are voltages/currents measured? any good threads or websites to explain it?

Last edited by a moderator:
This video explains the principle quite well

[video=youtube;JE3MzApSN7E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE3MzApSN7E[/video]

nice little video that, cheers tamz and CES (pdf's good too). cleared up the point that was throwing me - the earth from the burner is monitored for a returned, rectified signal. When I was seeing the earth from the electrode on boilers I was thinking it just leaked straight to earth - apparently not. nice to see the yanks are using the cold main as an earth still! if i've misunderstood that, cut me some slack - i got 3 kids under 4 charging about round me - no wonder daycare costs so much.

is this why checking ionisation current seems to figure in some boiler servicing routines these days (e.g. on the greenstar he, via inbuilt dianostics).. i guess dirty probe increases resistance, ergo lower current and need for clean up/inspection of electrodes). if so, is there a technique for measuring ionisation current that doesn't involve integral diagnostic systems? or is this a complete dumbass question?

just read your article properly CES - answer to my last post was in there. sorry. my question was "dumbass". thanks for the pdf. smashin'.

Similar plumbing topics

Yes I'm basically using it as a programmer to...
Replies
Views
The boiler doesnt tell the pump what speed to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thank you that is helpful.
Replies
Views
Yes, they're Energizer alkalines, replaced not...
Replies
Views
Working at a flow temp of 30 ? As a dt of 30...
Replies
Views
Back