Flow problem to shower. | Showers and Wetrooms Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Flow problem to shower. in the Showers and Wetrooms Advice area at Plumbers Forums

I have a thermostatic mixer shower with a salamander 2 bar twin pump connected. When i first turn on the shower the flow is really poor, by holding the handheld shower attachment as low as I can, the pump eventually kicks in and I can divert the water to the fixed head and shower as normal.
When i've finished showering and turn the water off it sounds like water is flowing back through the pipes, presumably to the cwsc and hot water cylinder.
Would fitting non return valves solve this issue and if so which ones should I get.
Thanks in advance.

You need a negative head pump.
I have had this set up for about 8 years, with no problems. I replaced the pump a while ago and moved it from the loft to the base of the cylinder. Its strange it worked better in the loft than the recomended place. I am convinced its a pipe(water flow) issue or a problem with the shower itself, just can't narrow down excacly what the issue is.

Upvote 0
I have had this set up for about 8 years, with no problems. I replaced the pump a while ago and moved it from the loft to the base of the cylinder. Its strange it worked better in the loft than the recomended place. I am convinced its a pipe(water flow) issue or a problem with the shower itself, just can't narrow down excacly what the issue is.
Whatever is going on water cannot flow up hill on it`s own accord, pumped or a syphon effect yes and I cannot see it being a shower problem from here.

Upvote 0
With salamander pumps aslong as the shower head is at least 600mm from bottom of cwsc then a positive head pump should be fine but then also if your hot draw off is less than 2 litres per minute then you need a negative head pump also is your pump on the hot side connected to a secondary hot tapping or a surrey flange?

Upvote 0
With salamander pumps aslong as the shower head is at least 600mm from bottom of cwsc then a positive head pump should be fine but then also if your hot draw off is less than 2 litres per minute then you need a negative head pump also is your pump on the hot side connected to a secondary hot tapping or a surrey flange?[/QUOTe

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a surrey flange. I think it is connected up wrong though, the pump is fed from the top and hot water to the rest of the house is from the side. This has been connected like this since my bathroon installer fitted our en-suite 8 years ago. The pump used to be in the loft and when I replaced the pump I moved it to the base of the cylinder. Is this what is causing my problems, do you think that just reversing these connections will solve my issues. Thank you for your advice.

Upvote 0
warix flange

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Have you tried removing the head to see if it...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello, have you fixed your shower and if so...
Replies
Views
J
  • Question
Electrical shower problems I have installed a...
Replies
Views
Johnales
J
  • Question
Sounds to me that the 15mm pipe that you are...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
  • Question
Is it posssible to install a booster pump, of...
Replies
Views
Back