Flow rate from electric shower | Showers and Wetrooms Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Flow rate from electric shower in the Showers and Wetrooms Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Chalked

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Can anyone tell me what flow rate to expect from a 9.5kw shower? Got to attend a rental house where the customer is complaining about lack of flow. It could be a blockage in the shower, or head. But would like to measure the rate, in case I need to explain that they will only pass so much.

cheers.

It is dependant on the incoming water temperature & the desired outlet temperature.
This time of year with with cold at less than 10degC you would not get anywhere near the 10L/m .
You could work it out if you need to, let me know probably have a formula some where.

Upvote 0
For a 9.5Kw shower:- Rise in temperature of water. multiplied by. flow in litres/min equals 133
ie, 133/T = flow in litres/min.
For 10Kw use 140 and pro rata for other values.
eg, 35 rise in temp:- 140/35 = 4 litre/min

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I get this problem all the time, especially in winter, people’s expectations are sometimes a little too high.
To accurately calculate the flow rate you need to know the cold water temp, about 9 degrees at the moment, the temperature required, say 40 degrees and the voltage, say 231. I put that into a spreadsheet and voila!

Screenshot 2017-01-08 11.28.16.png

If you want a copy of the spreadshhet just PM me an email address and I will send it to you.

Upvote 0
I always check for any restrictive ball iso's on the cold water supply to the shower. If so replace with full bore iso's. Remove shower head and measure flow into a jug with head first. Then with head. Had a couple where changing the head made all the difference.

See if you can get a pressure gauge onto the cw supply near the shower.

I have an Aqualisa Quartz 11kw in my family bathroom. To be fair it doesn't feel any different to the old triton t80z 8.5kw it replaced. I thought that going up to an 11kw shower when I refurbed the room would enable a stronger flow for same temperature. Not so. Sometimes it's just the way that the showers are made (internal restrictions etc).

BTW can't recommend Quartz as it's on it's second engine in 4 years. Common fault :-(

Upvote 0
Very nice Shower Engineer, I like that beats my lame attempt below.

Kg/s = (Watts )/(4.187 (shc) × 1000 × ∆t)

The spreadsheet (which isn't my work) uses the formula :-
Flow Rate l/m = ((60*(((Operating Voltage/(240/(Nominal kW rating/240)*Operating Voltage))/4.18*(outlet temperature-inlet temperature)))))

I find an easier way to prove that the shower is working correctly is to use a clamp meter. You can then see how many Amps the shower is using. Measure the voltage, say 235. Find the rating of the shower, say 9.5Kw (9500w). Simply divide 9500/235 so you can see how many Amps your clamp meter should be showing, in this case 40.42A. Much easier than checking flow rates, provided you have a clamp meter :smiley2:

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Sounds to me that the 15mm pipe that you are...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
  • Question
Hi I moved into a property where the pressure...
Replies
Views
D
  • Question
Aqualisa digital showers are great. There is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
They exist but sell shower heads try emailing...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Sounds like boiler flow switch. Had the exact...
Replies
Views
Back