Flue and Cross Ventilatrion issues | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Flue and Cross Ventilatrion issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PaulF104

Hi Sorry if this is a long post but I want to get this right.

I recently bought my council flat and last week the boiler was inspected the engineer then declared it
ID and capped the gas. On the fail notice he wrote 'cross ventilation'

The boiler is a floor standing open flue type situated in a cupboard.

The flue goes to the flat roof. It is not completely visible for inspection purposes.
The ventilation was updated in 2006 bby a British Gas engineer who put a low and high vent in the cupboard door and a vent in the front door (the cupboard is in the hallway).

For the next 6 years the boiler was inspected every year and passed with no AR's or advisories.
I have always intended to replace the boiler within the next 3 months for an wall mounted combi boiler.
But now I have no hearting or hot water.
When I spoke to the engineer he told me that the flue was not visible for all its length and that recent regs meant it had to be.
He also stated that on the roof the air duct and exhaust flue vent were too close together but the air
duct from the roof was sealed of 6 years ago when the larger vents were installed.

Should I call out another Gas Safe engineer? Or has there been recent changes to flue regs which made my boiler ID. Thanks in advance.

:iagree:. But we only know what you are saying,so???
get someone else to have a look and see what they think.
however what you describe does suggest an overkeen application of a rule change that doesn't apply to your boiler anyway!

Your only option is to call out another firm, explain fully to the next person everyone that was said or done and let them turn it back on and do the test and calculations, however be prepared for the engineer to find it faulty and have to cap it again, he will still need to be paid for the work, it's possible there is a fault that makes it ID that the engineer hasn't described well to you or you in turn aren't describing it well to us,
Based on your description the first engineer doesn't know what they are talking about, only you will know if you have repeated everything exact as it was told to you and done, I've been to a few jobs where the conversation with the customer took a similar route to this one only for the actual job to be totally different, speak to someone else then let us know

As mentioned. If your description is accurate it appears the Engineer was a bit confused as to the proper regulations and their implementation.
Get a reputable Engineer out for second opinion.

Was this a British gas engineer?

If you've been issued a warning notice it should clearly explain the reason on the paperwork.

Was this a British gas engineer?

If you've been issued a warning notice it should clearly explain the reason on the paperwork.

No not a British Gas engineer and all that is written on the paperwork is 'cross ventilation'.

It was when I queried this by commenting that the ventilation had been the same for at least the last 6 years and passed by British Gas and the company he works for on the last 6 years including one last May that he said there were other things wrong, like the flue that went through the roof void which he said had to be visually inspected along its whole length. He also said the Flue disapeared into a wall it did not it passed through a stud wall partition, so at most 4 inches was 'in the wall'...

Problem is now I have no boiler..so will have to get an immersion heater fitted so I can at least have some hot water.

Do you think I should get a different Gas Safe engineer to inspect?

Thanks Paul

get another engineer, or get BG and if they fail it complain as they passed it before.

get another engineer, or get BG and if they fail it complain as they passed it before.

Call gas safe ask for an inspection. State that you believe the reasons to be spurious and the engineer disengenious !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, Ben this is what I thought as it seems...
Replies
Views
T
Do a slightly dodgy job and let the extractor...
Replies
Views
It sounds like a misinterpretation of...
Replies
Views
E
It sounds like that needs to be sealed from...
Replies
Views
Thanks for both replies - so the search is on...
Replies
Views
Back