Flue cement keeps cracking | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Flue cement keeps cracking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazzt

Esteemed
Has anyone got any advice on how to stop flue cement cracking. I used regin 1200 degrees cement but cracked.

edt dopey me :p

you on about fire cement

normally due to air bubbles or movement in the flue

Last edited:
I mean sealing the flue to the boiler, i know some poeple use high temp silicone. I have used fire cement but it keeps cracking.

Wet the surface or cord that you are putting the fire cement against before you start. Maybe mix some water with fire cement also, but not much, - just enough to make it slightly damp. Too much water will also cause bubbles or contraction.
Put oil boiler on for half a minute, just enough to make flue warm and switch off and leave to harden. (if solid fuel, then just a tiny fire started if possible)
Try the special fire cement that comes in tubes for gun. It has flexibility and although expensive, it is very handy.
If you are sealing any flues on boilers or areas that will only get temperatures of 300 degrees, or less, then use heat resist silicone. Ordinary silicone can usually take 200 degrees, but check the MIs

What sort of boiler and heat will the fire cement be for?

The flue gas temp 275 to 300 deg on analyser so i thought silicone my perish quickly so i thought the 1200 degree regin fire cement would be the answer.

It isn't too hot really, but sort of at the limit of heat resist silicone in my opinion. I do find it disintegrates on high heat areas eventually. But will last forever on lower heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Yes I try and do it where possible prime with...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Generally you have a trap under the sink to be...
Replies
Views
Yes these can be converted to any type of...
Replies
Views
Thanks Timmy D
Replies
Views
Atag let you go for the 600mm clearance away...
Replies
Views
Back