Flue hole amendment | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Flue hole amendment in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Was sent to replace a Vaillant flue today but the new elbow sits lower than the old so have to knock it down about 2 inches..

Not much space though.

I'm thinking SDS with a chisel bit on hammer???

d9b94107314285685866dca0853b3b05.jpg

Either stitch drill and knock it out, or use a core drill, just angle the core drill when you start it and hold on
Once it's bit you can bring the drill back square and core straight through
Put drill on fastest speed if it's adjustable
Is the existing hole cored or was it a bigger hole that's been bricked in
If it's bricked in it should knock out easily enough

Last edited:
Are you sure it's the correct elbow,(is it the one off the boiler) ?

Either stitch drill and knock it out, or use a core drill, just angle the core drill when you start it and hold on
Once it's bit you can bring the drill back square and core straight through
Put drill on fastest speed if it's adjustable
Is the existing hole cored or was it a bigger hole that's been bricked in
If it's bricked in it should knock out easily enough
Stitch drill???

Stitch drill???

A series of holes 30/40mm apart on the outline of the hole you want to drill
Once through inside skin either bump through with hammer and 1" cold chisel or use a small breaker
Repeat on outside skin
Personally I'd use a core drill

A series of holes 30/40mm apart on the outline of the hole you want to drill
Once through inside skin either bump through with hammer and 1" cold chisel or use a small breaker
Repeat on outside skin
Personally I'd use a core drill
Ahhh OK, didn't know it was called that..

Thing is, not sure there's room for a core as the cabinet on the adjacent wall sticks out quite a bit, I'll just bring both with me and see which fits.. The original hole has been cored but there must have been loose brickwork as it ended up a bit of a mess.. You should see the outside wall :O

Put it this way you can't make it any worse but +1 for stitching it

Ended up stitching it and chiselling it on hammer on my SDS.. Couple loose bricks came out and new flue in.. Filled hole with bricks I took out and foam. 2 hours. And no longer afraid of working with Vaillant horrible rubbish flues lol

normally use some one coat smoothed over with a wet trowel to tidy things up, expanding foam seems to go everywhere!

normally use some one coat smoothed over with a wet trowel to tidy things up, expanding foam seems to go everywhere!
Tell me about it, and god forbid you get it all over your arms like I did on a boiler install lol took weeks and some very raw skin to get it all off!!!

Tell me about it, and god forbid you get it all over your arms like I did on a boiler install lol took weeks and some very raw skin to get it all off!!!

? hot water takes it off easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I took those photos! Looks like the only...
Replies
Views
Thank you for responding Chuck, I have booked...
Replies
Views
I have a baxi neta tec combi ga24, if it was a...
Replies
Views
More than fine then in 11/5 tube should be...
Replies
Views
That looks like oil fit twin. Insides plastic...
Replies
Views
Back