flue liner advice | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss flue liner advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdodds2004

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Right been to give a qoute of fitting a fire and fire box into a builders opening with old flue liner off the fire and back boiler still in place,

i told custard that they required a new liner and i would fit there already purchased fire box and fire to that,

my query is the customer has said she has had other qoutes telling her that they will test existing liner and if it works ok then they will connect onto that,

now my thinking and teaching off my x gaffer was old flue liners always ripped out because they only have 20 year life or something, so what are peoples opinions on this, am i being to safe and overpricing the job or the other people being naughty??

thanks guys

it is back to the old chestnut, if nothing happens with the old liner it will be fine, if something happens because you have left the old liner in you will get tortured, rule of thumb from manufacturers is that a liner has a working life of 15 or so yrs, so depending on how long it has been in will assist you making your decison on whether you will connect to it, it is extremely difficult to ascertain that the flue is absolutely safe, you could use a cctv but by the time you did that it would prob be cheaper to fit a new one and be certain, the prob you have with this is convincing the punter that you know what you are doing and the extra cost isnt your way of boosting your income, and if the others say different then that is obvious that is what they will say as they are cutting corners, give them all the info and let them make their own mind up, TBH it doesnt do any harm to lay it on the line that the cheaper job could endanger their family, and that they could contact other reputable firms to ask whether they would connect to an old liner and risk the family to win the work, good luck and we need to persevere to get standards of work back to where they should be

Last edited by a moderator:
remember you are the last person on the job so you will be responsible for the full installation you cannot guarantee the intergrity of the flue so rip it out if the customer is not happy just walk away better to be safe

the only way to prove its in good nick is to remove it and inspect it,sometimes they go like a colander ,better to replace

yea as i thought thanks guys just gave me peace of mind that i wasnt trying to make extra work, have rang the custard and told them i wont be connecting to the old flue liner, as i cant gurantee its safety and wont take any kind of risks on a new fire, thanks guys!!

think ill lose the job but to be honest i would rather be safe even though work is quiet at the minute :(

a few years ago i worked for a company subbing for leicester city council and there standard was bbf out, combi in, firebox to existing liner with radiant fire, the rules are so ambigious

hi
wouldnt testing flue with smoke pellet and checking upstairs room for ie spillage from floorboards and visually checking fumes leaving one pot from chimney be enough for testing flue liner? and asking customer how many years flue liner has been in. this is basically what is required when doing a service so in my opinion it should be adequate unless the liner has been in more than manufacturers guidlines.

i would think its best practice to replace the liner, you would want the liner to last the life of the box and fire and not need changing a few years down the line due to its age and condition. I have worked for local landlords and counsils for many years and have never known a liner reused even if the appliance and liner is only a few years old.

I had this couple months ago same dilema in the end got some muppet to go up and rip it out stick a terminal on and tested chimney worked a treat :phone:

Maybe a daft thought .......... could you not just remove the existing liner? It's a brick chimney end of day yeh? ... shrug

Maybe a daft thought .......... could you not just remove the existing liner? It's a brick chimney end of day yeh? ... shrug

Thats what i done , was doing my head in thinking about it so thought just get rid of it and smoke test chimney ....less grief !!

Thats what i done , was doing my head in thinking about it so thought just get rid of it and smoke test chimney ....less grief !!

Sorry mate, skiped ya post. Looking to help the OP ... lol ..

AS GASPASTEMANIA SAID :iagree:

hi
wouldnt testing flue with smoke pellet and checking upstairs room for ie spillage from floorboards and visually checking fumes leaving one pot from chimney be enough for testing flue liner? and asking customer how many years flue liner has been in. this is basically what is required when doing a service so in my opinion it should be adequate unless the liner has been in more than manufacturers guidlines.
The flue may be partially corroded through or damaged after been insitu for 10 years, but still intact enough to pass a flue flow. You fit your new fire and 6 months down the line it breeches and starts spilling POC's.
Who is at fault here?

You fit a new fire you must vouch for the integrity of the flue liner or chimney. As per BS5440-1 an existing liner must be fully examined. How can you do this without removing and checking the old one? And if you are going to the bother just put in a new liner.

You are responsible for fitting the appliance and declaring it safe! If in doubt whip it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks for clearing that up!
Replies
Views
J
A gas engineer with respect and quality will...
Replies
Views
Mark Butler
M
  • Question
EDIT: should have put "radiation and convection".
Replies
Views
Thanks. for the response. I'll take a look at...
Replies
Views
Cheers guys :D
Replies
Views
Back