Flue Passing through flat above and in void | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Flue Passing through flat above and in void in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

arran197

Gas Engineer
Ok I'm not happy with this in all honesty. This Greenstar has been turned off because of the flue. I've been out and had a look. The flue goes from the ground floor flat through the ceiling in to the flat above, which is in a metal box. Then through the loft and out the roof. My supervisor has said it just needs clipping in the loft, but I'm not comfortable as there's no hatches to inspect the flue through the boxing. I've read the regs outlined in technical bulletin TB008 and it's a bit grey with regards to this situation, but says that providing the flue is inspected and passes all tests, the boiler can be left in operation. Here's some pictures and I want another opinion on it.

DSC_0302_zpsifo754qw.jpg

DSC_0303_zps12uhldwa.jpg

DSC_0304_zpsesn5xf3s.jpg

For starters you can"t have the ground floor flats flue running up into someone elses flat,unless of course it"s all owned by the same authority/landlord.You will need inspection covers fitted for the flue that"s boxed in & i personally would fit a co alarm where the boxing goes past the second boiler.Have you looked outside & seen how it terminates?Are they far enough apart?
If your boss thinks they just need clipping(& they do) tell him to do it!

You can't install to that standard anymore but if its existing and all in order so far as you can verify the latest guidance states it can be left operational in the abscence of any info or tests that suggest it is not safe

Is it within the maximum permitted length?
I'd be doing all tests and then as long as they are ok, I would at risk it

That's what I'm saying. He's saying that if the flue is clipped at some point and is solid, it's ncs if it's not every 1.8 m or section. So basically he's saying that if we fit the clips in the loft, it'll then be ncs.

That's what I'm saying. He's saying that if the flue is clipped at some point and is solid, it's ncs if it's not every 1.8 m or section. So basically he's saying that if we fit the clips in the loft, it'll then be ncs.
he is wrong,if theres a inaccessible joint its AR,it needs clipping on every joint ideally and when it changes direction ,there is also no firestop on that flue and its close to combustibles

At this stage in game we are still having this question?

If you cannot physically see every flue joint. ie. clear view no more than 1.5m from joint then it is AR. No if's or but's!

And obviously that flue needs clipped at every joint or I would be AR'ing that as well and CO alarms in every room flue passes through preferably.

what your gaffa is saying is if you AR it the customer will want to know why its been passed in previous years.

what your gaffa is saying is if you AR it the customer will want to know why its been passed in previous years.

And if YOU NCS it this year and someone else correctly AR's it next year, the customer will be coming after you and or your Boss wanting to know why it wasn't AR'd this year.

he is wrong,if theres a inaccessible joint its AR,it needs clipping on every joint ideally and when it changes direction ,there is also no firestop on that flue and its close to combustibles

That pic with the boiler in is of the flat above. The flue from the flat below is in th metal boxing to the right of it. The flat downstairs has a fire stop. I know about all this, I'm going to refuse to go back and turn the boiler on. Thing is, every year when we service this boiler we're going to have to get in the flat and loft above. It's going to constantly be ar'd and the customer is going to get annoyed. Personally I think they should route the flue somewhere else. They could go through the kitchen and along the wall and out the back wall with a horizontal flue instead.

The top end of those flues do not look correct. Is that the proper flue material? Phone the HSE they will confirm what everyone has said about the flues in voids.

Ye, the unpainted metal section is the flue terminal section. The length of the flue isn't an issue, it is 125mm not the normal 100mm fir the downstairs flat. The upstairs flat has 100mm.

if he feels he is correct then suggest that he turns it back on himself and puts his signature on a gas cert.

Or tell him you have phoned gas safe and they wanted to know why your being told by your boss to break the law and wanted to send an inspector out so you gave them his bosses details as a contact.

Just out of curiosity is the Boss Gassafe and is so does he / her carry out gas work him/herself?
If so his work may be suspect due to lack of knowledge.

If the Boss isn't Gassafe then they definitely do not have sufficient knowledge to instruct you to restore the Boiler to use.

Show them this, from here; Gas boilers - flues in voids
[h=2]Action required:
[/h] The revised technical guidance requires inspection hatches to be fitted in properties where the flue is concealed within voids and cannot be inspected. The homeowner (or landlord etc.) has until 31st December 2012 to arrange for inspection hatches to be installed. Any gas engineer working on affected systems after 1st January 2013 will advise the homeowner that the system is "at risk" (AR) in accordance with the GIUSP and, with the owner's permission will turn off the gas supply to the boiler so it cannot be used.

Got a call yesterday, I'll come with you and have a look when you fit the flue clips. Ok. Haven't been to fit them.

This morning, You were right mate, the boiler is being changed and relocated next week.

We'll that's the end of that,must say I'm relieved that I'm not going to be in a situation I wasn't fully happy about. It'll also save checking the flat above every single year when it's serviced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I took those photos! Looks like the only...
Replies
Views
Sure they go through other property and not...
Replies
Views
as he says its from an openable window
Replies
Views
keston are alright, theyre basicly an ideal...
Replies
Views
yes have done it with vaillant you have to...
Replies
Views
Back