Flue supports in void | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Flue supports in void in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dev1872

Gas Engineer
Came across a flue in void, inspection hatches fitted to standard, flue was solid and rigid, joints screwed, but no supports. Boss who was with me seems to think this is AR as its in a void but only NCS if it wasn't in a void. Is he right?

personally I'd AR as it could move whether or not it is in a void without the correct support

personally I'd AR as it could move whether or not it is in a void without the correct support

+1 ar defo

ncs would be no access to flue in boxing eg no hatches

Eh no access to flue in void would be AR as per the regs

did they change it as my last re up was ncs? and didnt get any emails like i normally do

Yeah AR if no hatches. I just found it strange that because it was in a void it made it AR, but if it wasn't only NCS. To be honest there is less chance of flue being knocked whilst it's in a void, as the joints were screwed and was completely rigid, there's very little chance of it coming apart or being damaged by 3rd party.

[DLMURL]https://engineers.User PlumbersForums.net Instead - Copy the content, don't link to it.co.uk/doc/FluesInVoids/TB%20008Ed%203%20-%20Existing%20concealed%20room-sealed%20fanned-draught%20boiler%20chimney%20-%20flue%20systems%20-%201%20April%202013.pdf[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
[DLMURL]https://engineers.User PlumbersForums.net Instead - Copy the content, don't link to it.co.uk/doc/FluesInVoids/TB%20008Ed%203%20-%20Existing%20concealed%20room-sealed%20fanned-draught%20boiler%20chimney%20-%20flue%20systems%20-%201%20April%202013.pdf[/DLMURL]

that would explain it, after me re up can you get them sent to your email address? tb that is?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah AR if no hatches. I just found it strange that because it was in a void it made it AR, but if it wasn't only NCS. To be honest there is less chance of flue being knocked whilst it's in a void, as the joints were screwed and was completely rigid, there's very little chance of it coming apart or being damaged by 3rd party.

The thought behind it being if the flue failed in a void you would be less likely to realise thus causing more risk to life.

The thought behind it being if the flue failed in a void you would be less likely to realise thus causing more risk to life.

Yeah true, although must admit I don't agree with the "ruling" on this situation. If you had any doubts about a flue failing in a void or out, it should be at least AR'D anyway, if it is secure, screwed and in a void where it can't be damaged, I find this less of a danger than in a loft where it can be easily knocked etc, but hey ho I don't make the rules haha

Ar, ncs. Doesn't matter. No one seems to take any notice.

"The last bloke didn't say anything". " it's been like that for years"

Ar, ncs. Doesn't matter. No one seems to take any notice.

"The last bloke didn't say anything". " it's been like that for years"

hopefully when they release the new system things will be more defined and they will stop changing things :D well we can all hope cant we

Came across a flue in void, inspection hatches fitted to standard, flue was solid and rigid, joints screwed, but no supports. Boss who was with me seems to think this is AR as its in a void but only NCS if it wasn't in a void. Is he right?
Absolute rubbish!!
General standard is should be supported every 1.8M or and change of direction. (unless MI's specify differently) No difference wither in void or not!
If flue not supported as above then your call to AR or NCS it.
Generally if only maybe one joint and flue screwed, no supports but solid I would NCS.

Last edited:
??????????????????????????

when doing a 90 and then going through the roof you need one to support the 90 and one to support the other end

Isn't the 1.8m for open flued appliances? I have been told this is in BS as MI for open flued never state any clipping distances. Never looked into it though.

Like has been said above, most modern boilers require 1m and every change of direction. Or as per MI's.

Yeah true, although must admit I don't agree with the "ruling" on this situation. If you had any doubts about a flue failing in a void or out, it should be at least AR'D anyway, if it is secure, screwed and in a void where it can't be damaged, I find this less of a danger than in a loft where it can be easily knocked etc, but hey ho I don't make the rules haha

The FIV rules have nothing to do with damage being caused or otherwise. We are required to inspect the length of the flue, and this cannot be done in a duct. The hatches are to enable us to meet our obligations.

There are plenty of failed flue joints - not necessarily as a result of mechanical damage

Last edited:
A flue must be supported every 1.8 meters or it's AR.

I tend to fit every metre or section (if shorter)
Lots of MI's state per metre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I’ll make one, it’s basically only two bits of...
Replies
Views
T
  • Question
100% don't need to pay for the sink. Remain...
Replies
Views
E
It sounds like that needs to be sealed from...
Replies
Views
It doesn’t look like the internal pipe has...
Replies
Views
Still need access for a visual inspection.
Replies
Views
Back