flue's in voids | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss flue's in voids in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyplumber

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
hi guys

i am just enquiring about flues in voids, i have been to a flat to do a landlords cp12 and noticed the flue is boxed in.
there is only one access panel and the flue is 3 meters long, i have done a gas analyisis and that is ok and gas rate is spot on

my question is with it being a landlords flat do i class it as "at risk" or "not to current standard" i know this is a grey area as i have been told that if you do a gas analysis test and it's fine, then class it as NCS. but i have also read somewhere that before 2012 inspection hatches must be fitted and a Carbon Monoxide detector

the boiler in question was fitted in 2008, does anyone know what the regs state about flue voids in landlords properties

Andy

i think after april next year its classified AR and needs inspection hatches but at present NTCS is my up take

as said,but I do write down on report upcoming reg change and reqirements to allow those concerned to sort out before appliance becomes ''at risk''
imho

There is no grey area here. It is now quite clear. If you can physically verify all flue joints are sound (ideally access panel of 300 x 300 mm no more than 1.5 m from every join where possible) then all is well. If you cannot physically verify every join is sound then there must be CO alarms to leave it as NCS until 1st jan 2013. If you cant inspect every join and no CO alarms present in every room flue enters then this is AR.

My understanding is that boilers with flues in voids have to have hatches fitted by
31 Dec 2012 after then if not fitted the boiler will be AR.
In the mean time a risk assessment needs to be done on the flue and as long as that's ok and the boiler passes its safety checks etc it an be left on.
Co alarms also need to be fitted in each room the flue passes through.

As Graham and BLOD said really. If you cannot inspect every flue joint then it has to have a CO detector in every room the flue passes through or it is At Risk.

hi guys

i am just enquiring about flues in voids, i have been to a flat to do a landlords cp12 and noticed the flue is boxed in.
there is only one access panel and the flue is 3 meters long, i have done a gas analyisis and that is ok and gas rate is spot on

my question is with it being a landlords flat do i class it as "at risk" or "not to current standard" i know this is a grey area as i have been told that if you do a gas analysis test and it's fine, then class it as NCS. but i have also read somewhere that before 2012 inspection hatches must be fitted and a Carbon Monoxide detector

the boiler in question was fitted in 2008, does anyone know what the regs state about flue voids in landlords properties

Andy

who the boiler is owned by isnt relevant, and as others have said there isnt really a grey area, but you need to be fully conversant withTB008 edition 2 which contains all the info and the risk assessment form you should now be completing for every boxed in RS flue you come across, it isnt acceptable to be doing this type of work if you are not up to speed with keeping the cutomers informed, we all know they wont comply with your reccomendations etc but then you have invoked the CYA rule and will be fine whatever happens

As the man says above, Full Risk Assessment Procedure must be adhered to.

to be honest i just read this on the gas safe website, at the moment it is NCS, and this is what gas safe are saying on the website - You (customers) have until 31 December 2012 for this work to be completed. It is recommended that inspection hatches are fitted as soon as you are able to do so. From 1 January 2013, any Gas Safe registered engineer will turn the boiler off, with your permission and formally advise you not to use it until inspection hatches have been fitted in appropriate places.

to be honest i just read this on the gas safe website, at the moment it is NCS, and this is what gas safe are saying on the website - You (customers) have until 31 December 2012 for this work to be completed. It is recommended that inspection hatches are fitted as soon as you are able to do so. From 1 January 2013, any Gas Safe registered engineer will turn the boiler off, with your permission and formally advise you not to use it until inspection hatches have been fitted in appropriate places.

get hold of a copy of the risk assessment it lays out exacty how to classify depending on whether you tick the red or green boxes for each job

where can we get the risk assesment from kirk?

[DLMURL="https://engineers.User PlumbersForums.net Instead - Copy the content, don't link to it.co.uk/doc/FluesInVoids/TB%20008Ed%202%20-%20Room-sealed%20fanned%20draught%20chimney%20systems%20in%20voids-revised.pdf"]https://engineers.User PlumbersForums.net Instead - Copy the content, don't link to it.co.uk/doc/FluesInVoids/TB 008Ed 2 - Room-sealed fanned draught chimney systems in voids-revised.pdf[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
I took those photos! Looks like the only...
Replies
Views
That's galvanised box corrogated steel decking...
Replies
Views
As a precaution report this to the building...
Replies
Views
Back