Flushing before a new boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Flushing before a new boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Ted_H

I'm about to fit a combi boiler to my heating system currently fed from a HW tank.(removing the tank and old back boiler)
I'm aware the system should be flushed prior to the new boiler going in. Is there something I could be doing now to aid the cleaning before the work starts, Ie. should I add something to the current system. I'd intend to do a mains water flush prior to connecting it to the boiler.

I would get a powerflush when you have the new boiler installed then they can clean out the system and add the inhibitor.

I was asking to try and make life easier ........... and cheaper ! I thought i could come here for some advice

Oh advice.... Here you go

Don't do the work you are obviously unqualified to do

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

In a facetious mood :eek:

Just add a cleaner like x300 or f3 for a week or two to loosen any deposits.

Seriously though you shouldn't touch any gas unless you are competent. We get a lot on here asking for advice and don't have a clue. For all we know you could be doing the whole job but perhaps not realising that a modern boiler will most likely need a bigger gas pipe and create dangerous situations through lack of knowledge

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I dont have to be qualified to lift floor boards or to run pipes or flush systems. which is what I was asking help about.

A gas safe registered installer will be connecting and commissioning the boiler. (and getting paid his full rate for doing so)

But thank you for your advice

But you do have to be GSR to commision boiler which includes filling benchmark csert, which includes section on flushing of the system.

I dont have to be qualified to lift floor boards or to run pipes or flush systems. which is what I was asking help about.

A gas safe registered installer will be connecting and commissioning the boiler. (and getting paid his full rate for doing so)

But thank you for your advice

Sorry I'd posted that rep;y before you posted your last post... Thank you for your advice

I am aware of the regulations , being an electrician myself we now have similar rules about unqualified DIY'ers. My gas safe freind and I have a bit of a working arrangement were if he needs a spark to do a job for him etc.... It's a way wherewe doo all the hard work for each other and can then still sign a job off

i would avoid asking your friend break the law and let him/her fit the boiler,flue,condense and any gas pipework and connect up and commission. You can do the rest of the work except these things. As regards flushing yes it would be a good idea to add some cleaning chemicals to the existing system 1 to 2 weeks before the work is done and run your heating during this time. If the system is very dirty it may be better to powerflush the system with the old boiler connected the day you start the work.

the main aim is to stop any dirt/sludge getting anywhere near the new boiler so best to flush with the old boiler in place.

i would avoid asking your friend break the law and let him/her fit the boiler,flue,condense and any gas pipework and connect up and commission. You can do the rest of the work except these things. As regards flushing yes it would be a good idea to add some cleaning chemicals to the existing system 1 to 2 weeks before the work is done and run your heating during this time. If the system is very dirty it may be better to powerflush the system with the old boiler connected the day you start the work.

the main aim is to stop any dirt/sludge getting anywhere near the new boiler so best to flush with the old boiler in place.

I don't understand why you gave this advice. It's pretty clear that this guy is gonna hang the boiler and do all the work himself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't understand why you gave this advice. It's pretty clear that this guy is gonna hang the boiler and do all the work himself.

what advise do you object to? i have advised that the gas related work be done by his GSR engineer which is the best advise i can think to give. You can google flushing and get a better answer than i gave??

what advise do you object to? i have advised that the gas related work be done by his GSR engineer which is the best advise i can think to give. You can google flushing and get a better answer than i gave??

I guess so, not a personal thing, I just don't see why we should be handing out advice of any kind to people who are clearly breaking the law. If he had a decent GSR on board, he would already know the flushing procedure req, so either he doesn't, or the dodgy GSR he's gonna use to "commission" the boiler is not worth his salt (which explains why he'd be willing to sign off someone else's work).

Also consider fitting a filter ! good idea on a old system, Use heavy duty cleaner Fernox F5 but best if you can run system hot.

I guess so, not a personal thing, I just don't see why we should be handing out advice of any kind to people who are clearly breaking the law. If he had a decent GSR on board, he would already know the flushing procedure req, so either he doesn't, or the dodgy GSR he's gonna use to "commission" the boiler is not worth his salt (which explains why he'd be willing to sign off someone else's work).

We will never stop people fitting own boilers its a question of cost ! safety or common sence go out the door where money is concerned, & as long as their are GSR who are happy to sign someone else's work it will carrey on ! untill a stop is put on anyone being able to buy gas Fittings people will keep on doing their own installs, trouble is they can see water if they make a mistake ! they cant see gas untill it goes bang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, it might be worth phoning the boiler...
Replies
Views
Thanks, yes I will ask him when he comes in a...
Replies
Views
External hounsfield heat only. If you really...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Back