Fordham Flush Panel: warning about failure in old model | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Fordham Flush Panel: warning about failure in old model in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Parsimonious

The cisterns in both my loos are Fordham Flush Panels (Model Aquasave AC 2613). They looked quite old when I moved here in 1995 but they continued to work well. The only failure until recently was of a halter unit, which snapped. I replaced this without realising that more important plastic components might also fail because of age. Recently, while turning off a cold tap (mains supply), I heard a loud knock in the pipes and then found water cascading from under the lid of one of the cisterns. The plastic feed unit in between the inlet and the ball valve had split neatly in two, releasing the full flow from the 15 mm copper inlet pipe. The same thing happened yesterday with the other panel (which I use much less often). The currently available Fordham ball valve assemblies can't be used as a replacement. Anyway, this is a warning that old plastic plumbing parts might suddenly fail, with potentially disastrous consequences. Failed part-corrected.jpg

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the heads up.
It's a good job you used an arrow to point to the failure in that pic, I would have never spotted it otherwise :p

Yes, I know that it's a bit obvious:yes:. But you're an expert. The break is almost so clean that a mere novice like me might have thought that the pic showed two separate parts!

Plastic fatigue. It goes all powdery and brittle.

If you auction that Woolworth ruler you may have enough money to upgrade both cisterns lol......regards turnpin:D

If you auction that Woolworth ruler you may have enough money to upgrade both cisterns lol......regards turnpin:D

I hadn't thought of that, but I'd better go ahead before it also develops plastic fatigue:broken_heart:. Anyway, it's no good for drawing a straight line, since it's developed a permanent curve.

Plastic lasts longer without sunlight !

(just hate the stuff when its old and brittle---or Cold and more brittle)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
glad to oblige ss had my fingers burnt with...
Replies
Views
Billy Bob Bob
B
Back