Formula for working out countback... | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Formula for working out countback... in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

S

Smcart5

I was given a formula by one of my tutors at college for working out the countback length for using a pipe bender , i noted down for learning off by heart later and i lost the notes.

I have a vague recollection of it and it was something to do with the degree of bend , the travel distance along the former and some other numbers.
Was anyone else taught this and could you post the formula for me, there's a different travel distance for 22mm

I tried searching for it on google with no luck :(

Hi, May i suggest you use the method where you always measure from the back of the bender. having bent tube with a bender all my working life i can only recall half a dozen times when i have needed to measure back. I can not remember the figures, however all i do is mark a datum on a bit of scrap, bend it and calculate from there for the intended pipe. Good Luck

The 'countback' or 'markback' figures for 15mm pipe that I have seen years ago are approximately as follows:

30deg bend -- 23mm (27mm)
45 deg bend -- 35mm
60deg bend -- 46mm
90deg bend -- 70mm (67mm)

You mark back along the pipe from where you want the centre of the bend to be, then position the pipe in the bender with the mark against the quadrant former.

From my own experiments I have changed two of these figures to those shown above in brackets -- but perhaps it's just my Hilmor bender, or the way I bend pipes!

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies, i don't have on job experience yet but i get the impression that by the book and accurate measurements are not a necessity in the trade..

Similar plumbing topics

Looks like a knuckle bend to me. Can still get...
Replies
Views
Hey Kwak, just wondering how you're getting on...
Replies
Views
Stuarty117
S
Thanet, but will be driving Friday/Saturday.
Replies
Views
A
Hi everyone, i am posting this on behalf of...
Replies
Views
andyh1984
A
Basically sounds like nothing was set in stone...
Replies
Views
Back